[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Question #3

Dustin Tyler dustin.tyler at ccsd.us
Mon Jun 25 09:06:09 EDT 2018

*Response to Brandy BruceI also believe that you must understand your
barriers and how to overcome them. There are going to be some unique
situations that come your way as an administrator and there isn’t a manual
to each situation on how to handle things.  Task-oriented leadership must
have one thing in mind and that is getting the job done. If your
subordinates all see the job getting done there would likely be a better
chance of them following you as a leader.  Trust would start to develop and
trust goes a long way for teachers to put forth maximum effort.
Relations-oriented leadership is something I will need to work on as well.
I find it very difficult for someone working as a teacher in a district to
becoming an administrator. Mr. Weaver who came in and spoke to us discussed
the relations-oriented side of doing this and said it was very difficult to
be the “boss” under these circumstances. But, he also discussed some things
that he did well and things he didn’t do well with this transition.
Relations-oriented leadership is a slippery slope that will need to be
taken on a personal basis.  Some ways of things that worked well for a
teacher might not work so well for another teacher. As an educator in a
district that is going through a lot of change, I can see the challenges of
change coming up more and more each day.  I am hoping that everyone can be
flexible with change, but some personalities don’t allow for much change in
their profession to feel uneasy.  As a leader it will be challenging to
introduce change but with a relations-oriented leadership I feel it could
make things easier. “In order to be an effective administrator it is
crucial to understand your barriers and how you can overcome them.
Task-oriented leadership is best summed up as, "doing whatever it takes to
get the job done." I honestly don't think this will be a barrier for me as
an administrator. I have always set out to complete any task that I start
no matter what "curve balls" may be thrown my way. My philosophy is,
"you're either with me or you're against me." This philosophy definitely
applies to administration. Either your subordinates are all working towards
the same goals as you or they are hindering your progress. As an
administrator it your duty to make sure everyone is working towards the
same goals.  On the flip side to task-oriented leadership is
relations-oriented leadership. This is definitely a barrier for me. I am a
friendly person, but when it comes to leading a team I am more focused on
getting the job done rather than making friends. When I worked as a
preschool teacher I wasn't worried about my classroom aides being my
friends; I was only concerned with them doing their jobs so that I could do
mine. When I become an administrator, I will need to focus more time on
getting to know my staff and building good relationships and rapport with
these people so we can be a strong and effective team.  Change will most
likely be a barrier for me, as well as everyone else. There are teachers
and staff in all districts that are set in there ways and don't believe
that they should have to change. As an administrator there will be times
that I will have to put on a happy face and try to get everyone on board
with new policies and changes within our school/district. If I stand in
front of everyone with a negative attitude towards change, then this will
cause my staff to think negatively thus causing a trickle down effect.
Change is not always easy; but there are times that it is essential to
progress.” *