[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Brittany Holsinger brittany.holsinger at redstreaks.org
Thu Jun 21 21:55:43 EDT 2018

Administrators face many barriers throughout their careers, however it
would seem the most barriers would be encountered during the first few
years of becoming an administrator. Just as the first few years of teaching
were met with new challenges, I believe the same concept can be applied to
administrators. Therefore, when I consider barriers I recognize that some
barriers will be easier to overcome than others. Personally,
relations-oriented behaviors will be a challenge only in the beginning. I
have recently realized through conversation in class, that even though I am
introverted I am also quite social. In that once I become conversant with
others, I become far less introverted. As an administrator this would
require me to carry out on-on-one conversations, prior to addressing the
entire staff in one large group. Once I overcome this barrier early on, it
will be a nonissue thereafter.

When considering task-oriented behavior I fully believe this will be the
most simple of the three barriers for me to overcome. Naturally, I am task
oriented. I find comfort in having specific tasks to accomplish each day,
and once those tasks are completed I feel a sense of relief and
accomplishment. This task oriented behavior will serve me well as an
administrator.  However, there are situations as an administrator where
this could become a barrier, not necessarily for me, but for the staff for
which I will be leading. If I were to delegate tasks to staff members, and
they did not complete the required task, this would become a barrier and
something I would need to address immediately. If I were to find myself in
a predicament such as this, I would most likely fall back on my
relationship-oriented behavior and attempt to appeal to their human side by
reasoning, and getting to the bottom of the issue.

Change-oriented behaviors are behaviors in which I am very familiar with. I
am a visionary, constantly conjuring ideas and thoughts that will improve
my classroom, my own practice, and even my building. I thrive in an
environment where I can share ideas with other like-minded people.
Unfortunately, not everyone enjoys change, and not everyone is going to be
on board with my vision. As an administrator the hardest barrier to
overcome would be implementing change that others will buy in to. Honing my
leadership skills, and clearly communicating my vision, will aid in
overcoming this particular barrier.