[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question # 3

Anthony Gillman gl_agillman at seovec.org
Thu Jun 21 22:43:09 EDT 2018

*I have to begin with my T-P Leadership ratio of concern for production to
concern for people at 1 to 6.  Originally I had thought that this couldn’t
have been accurate. However, as I reflected on some of my past managerial
duties, I began to realize that this ratio/score might be a proper
representation of my style of leadership.  The reason that I say this is
that I typically lead less by barking orders and repeated requests of lets
go-go-go and more of a lead by example style with gentle words of
encouragement now and then. As I recall, the past results of this type of
managing was mixed, sometimes working well and sometimes not so well.  As
an administrator/principal, I will have to be mindful of this personal
trait and be careful that my seemingly over-concern for people doesn’t
negatively affect the task completing side of my job. As we have discussed
in class a handful of times, being an effective leader has to start with
being a good manager.The relations-oriented aspect of leadership might also
be an area of concern I have to monitor and continue to develop.  I
genuinely care for all people and want to see them happy, but too many
times struggle making personal connections and remembering the struggles of
others.  I catch myself missing opportunities to ask people how they are
doing as well as remembering to be specific with current struggles that
they have recently shared with me.  I constantly try to self diagnose why
this is and could bore you with some possible reasoning behind it, but will
save that for another day. The bottom line is that I need to continue to
reflect and improve my interpersonal skills in order to raise my
effectiveness as an administrator or even now as a teacher.A possible
struggle comes to mind when it comes to change-oriented behaviors.  To make
it short and sweet, I will need to follow through with the implementation
of a change.  This would be the most challenging part of ‘change’ for me.*

--
*Happiness is a proper balance of preparation and recreation.*