[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Sylvia, Molly msylvia at greenbobcats.org
Thu Jun 21 21:55:19 EDT 2018

Nick,

I was surprised to read that relations-oriented behaviors may be your
biggest barrier. I admire your vulnerability, admitting that you're often
judgmental. I think you'd be surprised how many of us would admit the same!
"Presume the positive" is a fantastic motto and can certainly help you move
toward transformational relationships. When we presume the positive, we
remove any false judgements and allow us to simply see the good in people,
enabling authenticity to flow. Focusing on people's strengths and helping
them to improve upon them will also lead to positive change in culture and
increased productivity. As you presume the positive, you will be an
excellent model of the behavior you want your staff and students to
exhibit. With your extroverted and charismatic personality traits, you'd do
well as an inspirational motivator, bringing others on board with an
appealing vision. The trick will be to tie your vision to your staff's
individual strengths to foster self and collective efficacy as you help
each teacher move toward growth and success. I believe your leadership as a
band teacher will help you tremendously as you move toward administration.
It gives you a unique insight into leadership that I envy. You're certainly
on the right track by recognizing these traits in yourself and being
motivated to improve yourself.

~Molly

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Nicholas Turon <nicholas.turon at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *I believe the relations-orientation may provide the most barriers to me,
> personally, as an administrator. I think I will set and accomplish goals
> just fine. I believe I can rally people around a cause, paint a crystal
> clear vision of a brighter future, and maintain momentum towards change.
> However, I sometimes have the hardest time getting along with certain
> people.On a surface level, I can get along with almost anyone. However, I
> have found that in the back of my head I can be incredibly judgemental,
> especially toward incompetence. I like to think I have gotten better at
> holding back assumptions, but it is still something with which I
> struggle.The phrase “presume the positive” has helped me quite a bit since
> starting teaching. When I have one-on-one meetings I am quite good at
> keeping my judgements at bay. However, I have much to work on when I don’t
> have time to mentally prepare. When students surprise me with “I’m not
> going to the concert tonight” it is difficult for me to not fire back “than
> you will fail” before hearing or even asking for the why.This is very
> important for me to work on as I want to be as authentic as possible. And
> it is difficult to maintain and grow an authentic positive working
> relationship when I actively believe a untrained monkey could do their job
> better. This issue has led to many internal struggles and a long reading
> list and is what I believe will be my biggest struggle in balancing the
> three orientations.*
>
> *Nicholas Turon*
> Director of Bands
> Paint Valley Local Schools