[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Taylor, Dakota dt264910 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 21 21:39:15 EDT 2018

What barriers might you, as an administrator/principal, expect to experience with efforts to address tasks, relations, and change in a well-integrated manner? Please focus the answer on you.

I believe that in order to become a successful and progressive type of administrator and school, that tasks, relations, and change orientations must intersect from every angle within the entire community, school system, and staff. This is easier said than done, as we have witnessed in recent weeks, there are so many variables and specific situations occurring day-to-day in every household, school, and community. These often negative situations and cultures are instilled within a large majority of the people within each community and this often interferes with the image of change and gets in the way of positive relations that cause a lack of collaboration and teamwork that eventually decreases the schools function and ability to accomplish progressive tasks in a successful manor.

In this day and age, all schools need change in order to keep up with the national and international progression within school, technology, and society. As a future administrator, I can visualize significant barriers coming from the change-orientation specifically because of the lower socio-economic area in which we reside. The majority of our community members and students live in a low income household, and this will cause them to give-up easier or continuously pull back and away from positive and progressive change. Often times these families and students are worried about getting by day-to-day, and this would certainly cause most people in these situations to not be forward thinkers. I am always thinking of the big picture of impacting whole communities, but the change would obviously need to start with administration and teachers within the community and then eventually get a majority of the community members on board with a clear vision that is responding to an urgency. Patience and commitment would be extremely important and critical in order to beat the challenge of innovation and adaptation.

Perseverance is key for long-term change, which is what I have instilled in myself and what I want to instill in my future subordinates, students, and community folk. I have a desire to create change; therefore, the change-orientation is intriguing to me, but the complexity of it is too much to fit into one short assignment. I look forward to supporting change and setting examples that were not set for me. As far as task-orientation goes, I believe that the state standards and government funding/expectations control most of these aspects such as: structure, roles, planning, tasks, and resources. In order for tasks to go smoothly, a school needs a great administrator that can effectively manage and lead every subordinate. Task-orientation leads directly into relations-orientation that must intersect and run parallel to the change-orientation. In order to sustain a positive work environment and successful school working community, there must be increases in these three areas of relations-orientation: development, teamwork, and commitment. These three areas will certainly create barriers within my job as an administrator because everyone has different motivations, opinions, and personalities. Getting everyone together and in sync with a progressive vision through teamwork and determination will be extremely difficult.

EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Dakota Taylor

Teacher/Coach

(304) 208-0198