[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Bruce, Brandy bj943410 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 21 21:42:31 EDT 2018

In order to be an effective administrator it is crucial to understand your barriers and how you can overcome them. Task-oriented leadership is best summed up as, "doing whatever it takes to get the job done." I honestly don't think this will be a barrier for me as an administrator. I have always set out to complete any task that I start no matter what "curve balls" may be thrown my way. My philosophy is, "you're either with me or you're against me." This philosophy definitely applies to administration. Either your subordinates are all working towards the same goals as you or they are hindering your progress. As an administrator it your duty to make sure everyone is working towards the same goals.

On the flip side to task-oriented leadership is relations-oriented leadership. This is definitely a barrier for me. I am a friendly person, but when it comes to leading a team I am more focused on getting the job done rather than making friends. When I worked as a preschool teacher I wasn't worried about my classroom aides being my friends; I was only concerned with them doing their jobs so that I could do mine. When I become an administrator, I will need to focus more time on getting to know my staff and building good relationships and rapport with these people so we can be a strong and effective team.

Change will most likely be a barrier for me, as well as everyone else. There are teachers and staff in all districts that are set in there ways and don't believe that they should have to change. As an administrator there will be times that I will have to put on a happy face and try to get everyone on board with new policies and changes within our school/district. If I stand in front of everyone with a negative attitude towards change, then this will cause my staff to think negatively thus causing a trickle down effect.  Change is not always easy; but there are times that it is essential to progress.

Brandy Bruce

Graduate Student

Ohio University Southern Campus