[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Nicholas Turon nicholas.turon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:31:35 EDT 2018

*I believe the relations-orientation may provide the most barriers to me,
personally, as an administrator. I think I will set and accomplish goals
just fine. I believe I can rally people around a cause, paint a crystal
clear vision of a brighter future, and maintain momentum towards change.
However, I sometimes have the hardest time getting along with certain
people.On a surface level, I can get along with almost anyone. However, I
have found that in the back of my head I can be incredibly judgemental,
especially toward incompetence. I like to think I have gotten better at
holding back assumptions, but it is still something with which I
struggle.The phrase “presume the positive” has helped me quite a bit since
starting teaching. When I have one-on-one meetings I am quite good at
keeping my judgements at bay. However, I have much to work on when I don’t
have time to mentally prepare. When students surprise me with “I’m not
going to the concert tonight” it is difficult for me to not fire back “than
you will fail” before hearing or even asking for the why.This is very
important for me to work on as I want to be as authentic as possible. And
it is difficult to maintain and grow an authentic positive working
relationship when I actively believe a untrained monkey could do their job
better. This issue has led to many internal struggles and a long reading
list and is what I believe will be my biggest struggle in balancing the
three orientations.*

*Nicholas Turon*
Director of Bands
Paint Valley Local Schools