[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question # 3

Jessica Orr jessica.orr at ccsd.us
Wed Jun 20 18:38:27 EDT 2018

Throughout recent classes and assignments, specifically in the personal
styles inventory, I have reflected on myself, and I consistently return to
my propensity toward introversion, which will likely impact and potentially
be a barrier in my efforts to address tasks, relations, and change as an
administrator. To start, in considering task-oriented behaviors of
leadership, it is critical that leaders use their resources and personnel
effectively and efficiently. I foresee that in this area, I may struggle to
delegate tasks to qualified individuals because I am more apt to complete
tasks independently. Additionally, I tend to be socially reserved, which
may be a barrier in identifying and capitalizing on the strengths of all
personnel.

Further, my independent nature could serve as a barrier in addressing
relations aspects. In particular, a strong relations-oriented leader will
increase cooperation and teamwork among employees, while fostering a
commitment to the building or district. These collaborative and unifying
efforts require leaders to be outgoing and attentive to the needs of
individuals, which is an area in which I am not strong. In many cases, I
internally recognize the needs of others, but I fail to take action to
address or meet their needs.

Moreover, change-oriented behavior hinges on the ability to attract other
people to one’s vision, which may prove to be a barrier for me as a
principal. In order to gain commitment from others, I must introduce my
vision in a way that does not neglect the stakeholders’ perspectives and
needs. In the past, my colleagues have occasionally misinterpreted my
intentions as self-serving; in some cases their needs were, in fact, met,
but I failed to articulate them as such. As a result, the individuals were
not as committed to the task as they might had been had I communicated more
clearly. A final barrier that may surface for me is identifying the
appropriate type of behavior (task-, relations-, or change-oriented) for
the situation at hand. This differentiation will require thorough attention
to all parts of the organization, which relates to each of the
aforementioned barriers. As I grow as an administrator, though, I hope to
attend to these shortcomings in order to overcome the barriers and
effectively meet the needs of all stakeholders and the organization itself.

--
Thank you,

*Jessica Orr*
English Teacher
Department Coordinator
Chillicothe High School
Phone: (740) 702-2287, ext. 16231

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you
have something to say."
       --F. Scott Fitzgerald