[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Wed Jun 20 16:36:32 EDT 2018

It would be most effective for me to identify what barriers I might
experience in my task, relations, and change-oriented behaviors in order to
become an effective administrator someday. In order to identify these
barriers I have to take into consideration my strengths and weaknesses in
my personality traits. Personality traits often intersect with how we
address situations and lead others.

One of the biggest barriers that I expect to experience with task-oriented
behaviors is micromanaging others. I find that I am very task-oriented. I
like to make checklists of what needs to be done and set forth until I
accomplish all of the tasks. I know that other people may not have
strengths in this area, and I will have to have patience and not hover over
them or micromanage them. I will need to take a step back and allow them to
do their job the way they see fit to accomplish it. If not, this will
create a tense work environment, reduce subordinates morale, and crush
innovation and creativity. I want others around me to think for themselves
and complete their tasks without giving up or relying on others to do it
for them.

In addition, one of the biggest barriers that I expect to experience with
relations-oriented behaviors is that I usually put interaction and group
harmony above deadlines or efficiency. A relational leader can put too much
emphasis on group harmony at the expense of timely work. This may lead to
inefficiency or missed deadlines. In some cases, the relationship-oriented
leader is too concerned with being liked to push employees. My personality
trait as an extrovert plays a role in this. I love to communicate and build
relationships with others. I know that I will need to find a balance
between task and relationship behaviors to be an effective principal.

Lastly, change-oriented behavior may create barriers that I expect to
experience. My personality does not adjust to change easily. However, if
employees or members of a group see an area where change would advance
their productivity, a change-oriented leader is ready to try a new way of
doing things. I will have to know when it is appropriate to use
change-oriented leadership because it is based on the situation. I will
need to more susceptible to make necessary changes if needed.

It is important to understand who you are, your traits, as well as others
in order to face and address situations effectively.

--
*Amanda Luttrell*
*Zahn's Corner Middle School*