[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Nicholas Turon nicholas.turon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:31:37 EDT 2018

*This singular topic is something I feel quite strongly about. I would put
self-efficacy and collective efficacy in the top 4 elements of a successful
school.I see the effects plainly in teachers at my school. That awful
teacher I wrote about before, has the self-efficacy of Eeyore from Winnie
the Pooh! She believes everything is not her fault; her locus of control is
so much external it took a Greyhound 25 years ago and has not been seen
since. On the flip side, we have a marvelous 4th grade teacher who spends
tremendous amounts of time creating tailored lessons for individual kids
because she has taken a personal ownership of their learning. Both of those
examples are to say, if you believe you can make a difference, your locus
of control is internal and you are much more likely and willing to take
ownership of ______.Similarly, perceived collective efficacy greatly
impacts effort and achievement. I see this very much in the concert bands I
conduct. After we qualified for State for the first time in district
history, and every other county school did not, the amount of practicing
that happened easily tripled in the following weeks! The students thought,
“I am part of an elite group here” and then stepped up to their own
perception. Through anecdotal evidence, I believe that the greater the
students believe the group to be, the more effort they are willing to put
in to maintain membership. Conversely, when perceived collective efficacy
is low, even when self-efficacy is high, morale takes a hit. And when
morale is low, motivation, and achievement suffer.I would also like to draw
attention to perceived collective efficacy from an outside perspective. I
have seen great benefits to my band program when people not in the program
believe the program is succeeding. Money flows more easily from the
district office, student attendance at concerts increases (because parents
actually take them), pride increases. Political, I know, but I thought it
worth a mention.*
*Nicholas Turon*
Director of Bands
Paint Valley Local Schools