[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Ian Snyder isnyder at minfordfalcons.net
Thu Jun 21 11:45:46 EDT 2018

            Self-efficacy and collective-efficacy can greatly impact the
environment of a school. Both of which I see present in my school district.

            The principal in my building is a prime example of
self-efficacy. As an administrator he does not look to target the “bad”
kids and put the label on their back that ultimately dictates their overall
behavior. Instead, he looks for the positive and tries to build a
relationship with the students that tend to have behavioral issues so that
the students get the feeling that they belong and that they can play a
positive role in the classroom. My principal uses effective behaviors and
actions to attempt to gain a positive outcome from the students. On the
other end of the spectrum there are a couple teachers in the hallway that I
work down that basically shun students from their classroom so that they do
not have to deal with their actions and act like nothing is wrong. The
teacher across the hall from me generally knows a student will be late for
class because his locker is down a separate hallway. The teacher will close
her door and lock it and tell the student that he needs to go to the office
to get a tardy pass, that are only used at the beginning of school, so that
he will be another 5-10 minutes late for class. So now that the student is
late, he now has to be even more late, disrupt the class, and makes the
secretary have to fill out a tardy slip.

            When I think of collective efficacy I think of our 7thgrade
team. I have sat in on a few of their team meetings and the collaboration
and positive goal setting for the grade level and individual students shows
their will power and desire to leave an impact on the students’ lives. The
opposite of this is the 6thgrade team. This is the team that I take part
the most in and the teachers that are involved skip the meetings or always
have plans right after school so that they cannot be present for the
meeting (even though they are “required” to be there 30 minutes after the
students leave). I can tell how not working as a team has a negative impact
on the students because the teachers do not have a common goal to achieve
the needs for many of the students.