[Stars] STARS MINUTES

Stars at Ohio University ohioustars at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:46:53 EDT 2011

Hey all,

         Here are the Minutes from this week's meeting...enjoy!!!

STARS MINUTES 5-9-11

   - Announcements
      - *Belly Dance Festival *
         - Reminder the festival is this Saturday, May 14 from 4-6pm in the
         Baker Theater. Come out to see some national belly dancers shake
         their hips along with dodging swords (and yes I said
swords!), along with
         seeing the members of the Belly Dance Club perform.
         - Alex, Shad, and Kendra remember to keep in contact with Daniel
         Echols to make sure you know all your duties for Saturday.
         - Keith and Micia will need to be in Baker theater by 4:30 to set
         up the table
         - Chrissa and Taylor we still need to make a new poster, if there
         is anyway possible try to have it done by Saturday...but if
not that is okay
         too. Let me (Micia) know if you need any supplies.
      - *Red Brick*
         - Our Red Brick Fundraising Event is Thursday, May 19 (next week!)
         at 6pm. *All our STARS Volunteers* are: Micia, Ashley, Katie,
         Emily, Antonio, and Alex. All of us need to *be at Red Brick by
         5:30*.
         - Also guys dont forget to hang up those fliers and keep spreading
         the word about our fundraising event.
      - *Student Council For Exceptional Children Training event*
         - Thank you to Alex and Sarah for doing some diversity training
         activities with the organization, they really enjoyed it!
Some suggestions
         that we got from the council were to make the activities last longer,
         because they liked them so much!
      -  *Student Council for Palenstine*
       -   Eden, member of the council, and her group are planning an event
         for fall quarter and would like STARS help. The event to help
commemorate
         and support all the Palenstenians that were uprooted from the
homes from
         Isreali government, also known as "Nackba".
          -  They would need assistance with fundraising, advertising, and
            reserving rooms. So keep thinking of ideas to help them
with this event, you
            have time so no worries.
            -  *Racism 2.0*
       -  Discussion about how humor can really blurr the lines between
         fun/jokes and prejudice remarks.
          -  We determined that a person's intent and motivation for the
            things they say really can alter the interpretation and
objective of "joke"
            -  When you feel someone is saying hurtful things and using
            humor to conduct prejudice comments, then we should take
it upon ourselves
            to tell that person the ignorance and the negative affects
that their words
            are creating. But, also remember not to embarass them or
make them get
            deffensive, geniuinely make them aware of the wrongess of
their behavior.
            -  *Other Stuff*
    -  Reminder that the showing of "My Dark Skin is Beautiful" is
      premiering in Walter on May 18 at 7pm
      -  Those who can attend, the Leadership Awards Gala is also on May 18
      from 6 to 9pm
      -  Advertising Ideas for Next Halloween is "*Think before you
dress"*to get ppl to think twice before choosing
stereotypical/offensive costumes.

Those are all the Minutes for this week, I hope you enjoyed them!!!

Thanks,
Micia Clemmons
Secretary of STARS
Mc970808 at ohio.edu
--
Laura Hyde
lh264909 at ohio.edu

Keith Hawkins
Co-President of STARS
Honors Tutorial College, Astrophysics Major
kh148408 at ohio.edu