[Ous-lp-rp13] Leadership - Management - Extrinsic – Intrinsic

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Thu Jun 28 10:38:10 EDT 2018

*Leadership - Management - Extrinsic – Intrinsic§  Leadership is defined as
“A process of social influence in which one person is able to enlist the
aid and support of others to accomplishment of a common task.” (Hoy &
Miskel)§  An action of leading a group of people or an
organization.§  Leadership is a process of influence, occurs in groups, and
involves common goals.§  It is distributed both formally and informally and
has rational, social, and emotional bases.§  Personality, motivation, and
skills are traits that are exhibited within a leader.§   Leaders are often
motivated intrinsically.§  Self-confident leaders lead by setting high
goals for themselves and others.§  They have task and interpersonal needs,
expectations, and self-efficacy.§  Leaders must have motivation, the will
to succeed, and the desire to do well, which is an essential part of
leadership progress.§   Motivation is a necessary key for leaders to
achieve success. §  There are two types of motivation: intrinsic and
extrinsic.§   Intrinsic motivation is the will to succeed by changing
oneself from within.§  Extrinsic motivation is the performance that is
driven by external rewards.§  Individuals have to be motivated
intrinsically (within) and then they have to be rewarded with external
benefits and benefits to achieve the best results in
organizations.§  Administrators or subordinates who are only motivated by
external rewards do not make successful or great leaders.§  Transactional
leadership- you give me this, I’ll give you that (Manager), extrinsic
motivation (if you do what I ask of you I will reward you, if not I will
punish you).§  Transformational leadership- enhances motivation, moral, and
performance. Being a role model for followers that inspires them (intrinsic
motivation).§  On the other hand, administrators or subordinates who are
not rewarded for their performance can lose interest and morale.§  Both
leadership and managerial intersections are crucial to be an effective
administrator. §  The intersections of both traits benefit an administrator
because a leader could inspire and motivate their followers, while acting
as a manager in insuring everyone follows through on their tasks.§  The two
roles go hand in hand in being a well-rounded and effective
administrator. Link:
https://create.piktochart.com/output/14978885-intrinsic-extrinsic-motivation
<https://create.piktochart.com/output/14978885-intrinsic-extrinsic-motivation> *

--