[Ous-lp-rp13] Leadership - Management - Extrinsic – Intrinsic

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Thu Jun 28 10:40:54 EDT 2018

*Leadership - Management - Extrinsic – Intrinsic*

§  *Leadership is defined* as “A process of social influence in which one
person is able to enlist the aid and support of others to accomplishment of
a common task.” (Hoy & Miskel)

§  *Leadership:* An action of leading a group of people or an organization.

§  Leadership is a process of influence, occurs in groups, and involves
common goals.

§  It is distributed both formally and informally and has rational, social,
and emotional bases.

§  Personality, motivation, and skills are traits that are exhibited within
a leader.

§  Self-confident leaders lead by setting high goals for themselves and
others.

§  They have task and interpersonal needs, expectations, and self-efficacy.

§  Leaders must have motivation, the will to succeed, and the desire to do
well, which is an essential part of leadership progress.

§   Motivation is a necessary key for leaders to achieve success.

§  *Management:* process of dealing with or controlling things or people.

§  Leaders are often motivated intrinsically.

§  There are two types of motivation: intrinsic and extrinsic.

§   *Intrinsic motivation* is the will to succeed by changing oneself from
within.

§  *Extrinsic motivation* is the performance that is driven by external
rewards.

§  Individuals have to be motivated intrinsically (within) and then they
have to be rewarded with external benefits and benefits to achieve the best
results in organizations.

§  Administrators or subordinates who are only motivated by external
rewards do not make successful or great leaders.

§  *Transactional leadership-* you give me this, I’ll give you that
(Manager), extrinsic motivation (if you do what I ask of you I will reward
you, if not I will punish you).

§  *Transformational leadership*- enhances motivation, moral, and
performance. Being a role model for followers that inspires them (intrinsic
motivation).

§  On the other hand, administrators or subordinates who are not rewarded
for their performance can lose interest and morale.

§  Both leadership and managerial intersections are crucial to be an
effective administrator.

§  The intersections of both traits benefit an administrator because a
leader could inspire and motivate their followers, while acting as a
manager in insuring everyone follows through on their tasks.

§  The two roles go hand in hand in being a well-rounded and effective
administrator.

Link:
https://create.piktochart.com/output/14978885-intrinsic-extrinsic-motivation

--