[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Samantha Howell samantha.howell at vc-k12.us
Fri Jun 22 22:20:00 EDT 2018

I believe that self-efficacy is the type of motivation that we all have
within ourselves. I have reflected back on my time as a teacher which has
been the past four years. When I first began college, I was really
intrinsically motivated and had all odds against me. I had children very
young and got married. I decided to go back to school when my daughter was
1 and found out two months before I started that I was expecting my son. I
had the drive to complete my schooling so that I could be a school teacher.
I always felt like I could make a difference. My first two years were
challenging as a new preschool teacher but I felt I could do it and really
teach these young children. After my first few years, I really did feel
that I was making a difference. Last year I was moved to first grade but I
was teaching Science and Social Studies for only thirty minute time
intervals. I really felt like how could I make a difference only having
thirty minutes with my students. I really feel like I lost some of my
motivation last year and felt defeated. I think that a teacher does have to
have self efficacy in order to have the drive to keep your own students
motivated. I think there are people in my building who do have this drive
and there are some who do not.

With collective efficacy, I do feel like our district lacks in this area.
Our district as a whole does have goals but I feel like we are all
completely separated by our buiding and that we all have different goals
and different outlooks on several issues. I know that one example in my own
building is the TBT meetings. I did not really have the same schedule as
anyone else that worked with the same grades as me. Therefore, I only
attended maybe two of those meetings last year. One of the things I told my
administrator at the end of the year was that I need to be involved in
these grade level meetings. This really made me feel like I had not part in
decision making for my students and not much communication at all with the
other teachers that I worked with. I think as an administrator, you need to
make sure that all teachers are able to collaborate and attend the TBT
meetings. I also feel like the collective efficacy does need to improve in
our district and in our school. I think the goals need to be reinforced and
be district wide. Our district does have a goal but I think it is not
addressed enough or reinforced.