[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Saretta Jackson sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us
Fri Jun 22 20:52:38 EDT 2018

Self-efficacy is defined as an individual’s belief that they can achieve
success in a certain task.  Self-efficacy comes from an intrinsic
motivation and a personality that possess self-confidence.  As a year three
teacher, I have more self-efficacy and more self-confidence in my teaching
ability.  That was not the case during my first year.  Experience,
mentoring, modeling good teaching habits obtained from my mentor, and
having an administrator that has good leadership qualities, have added to
my self-efficacy, as well as, my confidence in my classroom.  I feel that
this would also be the case as a first year administrator.  Given time and
experience, with many different situations, self-efficacy will grow.

Collective efficacy is shared by the collective, or the building, that
their efforts will have a positive effect on the students.  I have seen
this in the way that my grade level campaigned for a new ELA curriculum.  We
met in our TBT’s and voiced our opinions to our administrator, who then
took our information to the DLT.  We felt, as a collective grade level,
that this particular curriculum was what was best for our students.
Ultimately,
our Superintendent decided that our building could use this particular
curriculum for the next few years.  This decision energized our grade level
and we have decided to meet outside of the building, during our summer
break, to view the materials and develop lesson plans that will meet the
needs of our students. I feel that our administrators model good leadership
habits as well.  Both are very visible in the building and both work very
hard on learning the student’s names.  This notion of learning all the
names of your students, as an administrator, has been mentioned by all the
guest speakers that we have had.  This type of leadership behavior leads to
a building that feels like their voices are heard and respected, as well
as, a family type atmosphere.  These feelings would encourage collective
efficacy.

I have, unfortunately, seen where one person out of the collective made a
decision that, in my opinion, was not in the best interest of the students
or the school. I was hired in the building as a Kindergarten teacher.  At
that time, our grade level tried on numerous occasions to have events and
activities that would excite, encourage, and engage the students.  A few of
these activities would also involve the community.  One particular part of
the collective did not want to participate.  It was unfortunate and made
for some awkward situations.