[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #3

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Fri Jun 22 09:41:06 EDT 2018

Self-efficacy somewhat depends on your locus of control. If one believes
that they can influence student achievement and motivation (internal locus)
they are more effective than those who think external forces cannot be
overcome. We all know someone who has low-efficacy with no drive and the
mentality of “why bother.” However, I have a high sense and drive of
self-efficacy. I believe that I am capable of performing well. Though it
may not always be easy, putting forth effort, staying persistent when
difficulties arise, being resilient in dealing with failures, and dealing
with the stress and coping with it come within. I try to always look at
what I could do better or change, rather than blaming it on the external
factors of why something failed. We can’t change what the state mandates or
why we have to do something we don’t agree with. Implementing new
strategies to gain student growth is what I try to focus on.

 My building includes grades 4-6. Two years ago we got a new administrator.
I would say that since his arrival, he has done a really good job at
obtaining collective-efficacy from our building staff. I remember the first
email that our principal sent out. He introduced himself and asked us what
we would like to collectively work on as a whole that would have a positive
effect on students. I think 90% of the staff responded with student
expectations and discipline building wide. The discipline and student
behavior had spiraled out of control because our prior principal was
retiring and he was rarely there. Each grade and teacher had a different
behavior plan which led to confusion and teachers were unable to follow
through. However, the past two years have been great since our principal
got all of us together to implement a goal and a plan. All grade levels
work together now implementing a check mark system for student behavior. I
have seen a huge difference in the way students behave. Success build
strong beliefs in a faculty’s sense of collective efficacy, failures
undermine it. Like the text states, “A resilient sense of collective
efficacy requires experience in overcoming difficulties through persistent
effort.” Collective-efficacy in my building has built intrinsic motivation
in most, if not all staff members.

--
*Amanda Luttrell*
*Zahn's Corner Middle School*