[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020; Response to Question #3

Bruce, Brandy bj943410 at ohio.edu
Fri Jun 22 19:11:51 EDT 2018

Amanda,

I agree that sometimes self-efficacy isn't always easy. Everyday when you wake up you decide how your day is going to go and your attitude determines 90% of that. You have to want to have self-efficacy, it isn't just something that is "magically" there or not. I hate to hear that your building was affected in a bad way due to your principal lacking. This just shows the effect an administrator has on their school. If the person in charge is slacking in just one area it can cause a ripple effect and be detrimental in the long run. I'm glad your new principal hit the ground running and addressed these issues and wanted to have a positive impact on your school. :)

Amanda Luttrell's Original Answer to EDAD 6020 Question #3

Self-efficacy somewhat depends on your locus of control. If one believes that they can influence student achievement and motivation (internal locus) they are more effective than those who think external forces cannot be overcome. We all know someone who has low-efficacy with no drive and the mentality of “why bother.” However, I have a high sense and drive of self-efficacy. I believe that I am capable of performing well. Though it may not always be easy, putting forth effort, staying persistent when difficulties arise, being resilient in dealing with failures, and dealing with the stress and coping with it come within. I try to always look at what I could do better or change, rather than blaming it on the external factors of why something failed. We can’t change what the state mandates or why we have to do something we don’t agree with. Implementing new strategies to gain student growth is what I try to focus on.

 My building includes grades 4-6. Two years ago we got a new administrator. I would say that since his arrival, he has done a really good job at obtaining collective-efficacy from our building staff. I remember the first email that our principal sent out. He introduced himself and asked us what we would like to collectively work on as a whole that would have a positive effect on students. I think 90% of the staff responded with student expectations and discipline building wide. The discipline and student behavior had spiraled out of control because our prior principal was retiring and he was rarely there. Each grade and teacher had a different behavior plan which led to confusion and teachers were unable to follow through. However, the past two years have been great since our principal got all of us together to implement a goal and a plan. All grade levels work together now implementing a check mark system for student behavior. I have seen a huge difference in the way students behave. Success build strong beliefs in a faculty’s sense of collective efficacy, failures undermine it. Like the text states, “A resilient sense of collective efficacy requires experience in overcoming difficulties through persistent effort.” Collective-efficacy in my building has built intrinsic motivation in most, if not all staff members.

Brandy Bruce

Graduate Student

Ohio University Southern Campus