[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Answer to Question #2

Saretta Jackson sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us
Fri Jun 15 23:54:53 EDT 2018

I am going to begin with the structure that my school least resembles.  My
school least resembles a chaotic system.  At the beginning of the year,
handed out with all of our paperwork, is the district calendar.  This
calendar has all the important dates noted for each separate building.  This
calendar is also given to every student in our district on their first day
of school.  This keeps all parents informed of any building functions.  My
building’s vice principal emails a monthly calendar of events to all
faculty and staff, informing us of any upcoming events.  He also prints a
monthly newsletter to be handed out to all our students.  Our principal
meets with us weekly in the form of TBT meetings.  These meetings are two
fold, in that our principal is able to keep us informed of any changes that
may be implemented, and we report any data that we have collected as a
grade level.  This keeps our principal informed from the perspective of the
faculty.  Our building and district is run off a handbook that is given out
to students district wide.  We are all aware of all the rules and
regulations of the school.

My school most resembles a professional structure loosely coupled with an
authoritarian structure.  Our administrator treats us as professionals.  I
say loosely coupled with authoritarian, because the major decisions
concerning the building are, ultimately, decided by the administration.  I
do feel that the voices of the faculty and staff are heard and taken into
consideration while these decisions are made.  During our weekly TBT
meetings our administrator will open up the meeting to answer any of our
questions and listen to our concerns.  I also feel that our building is a
professional structure, because our administrator respects our professional
opinion.  For example, a student that I had taught in my Kindergarten
classroom last school year was very low functioning.  This student’s
parents preferred to home school, so this student left our school. This
school year I was given a new assignment to the first grade team.  This
student was re-enrolled this school year and was assigned to a first grade
teacher.  This teacher approached me and voiced her concerns about the
success of the student remaining in first grade.  The teacher asked me to
go with her to discuss the situation with our administrator.  She and I
approached our administrator and he took my professional opinion about the
success of this student and listened to the current teacher’s concerns for
the student’s success and, ultimately, made the decision to retain the
student in Kindergarten.  I feel this shows that my building’s
administrator listens to our concerns, values our opinions, and will
ultimately make the decision.