[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Answer to Question #2

Miller, Ashton an038712 at ohio.edu
Fri Jun 15 21:40:58 EDT 2018

While I do not yet have a school of my own, this question has caused me to reflect back on my student teaching. I spent the entirety of last school year observing and teaching at Wheelersburg Middle School.  This school most closely resembles professional structure.  According to Henry Mintzberg, professional systems rely most on professionals who are highly trained in their own specialization and take control over their own work.  Mintzberg also says that decision-making is decentralized in an organization with professional structure.  I could most certainly see this to be true at Wheelersburg Middle School. All of the teachers and employees there take huge pride in their work and making sure that they are doing their job timely and effectively.  The principal there trusts that his employees will do their job, so he has completely given that power to them.  Though this kind of organization is complex, there are still many set rules and procedures put in place.  Rules are set at Wheelersburg Middle School when it comes to attendance, discipline, how students should compose themselves in the hallway, etc. There are procedures for fire drills, tornado drills, lock downs, etc. With that being said, there are also rules and procedures there for teachers and employees to follow, as well.  Each member of this kind of system holds their own amount of power, but still has rules and procedures to abide by.

            A chaotic type of structure least resembles Wheelersburg Middle School.  Most all of the time, everything runs smoothly and follows according to a plan.  There are high expectations for both employees and students.  There are very few inconsistencies and confusions. All of these things mentioned would be untrue if the structure of an organization was chaotic. I feel that if a principal is running a school system that is chaotically structured, they lack too many management/leadership skills in order to be an affective administrator.  All organizations need some type of set, organized structure with rules, goals, boundaries, and consistency.  These kinds of things cannot happen in a school system that is structured by chaos.