[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question # 1

Sylvia, Molly msylvia at greenbobcats.org
Fri Jun 8 14:18:19 EDT 2018

One aspect of rational systems that can be found in schools is the focus on
learning standards and standardized testing. Each of these have several
characteristics of rational systems. One such characteristic is that
learning standards and standardized tests are implemented using a top-down
chain of command approach, showing the division of labor between the
Department of Education and the teachers in the trenches. Another
characteristic is that the standards and tests are meant to optimize and
generalize teaching across the state, and they may do so with some
effectiveness. Both are also incredibly goal driven and formalized
processes intended to maximize prosperity for the student. Ultimately,
these standards and tests also have the potential to squash the individual
teacher's creativity, forcing them into a limited direction through one
final authority, as rational systems do.

At Green High School, we are blessed with a principal who cares very much
for his teachers and staff. He exemplifies a natural systems model
intentionally in daily and weekly actions. One example of this is his
weekly blog, in which he takes time to address our our well-being as
people, not just as teachers and at the same time he addresses the
well-being of our students. His blog motivates us with quotes, stories, and
anecdotes, leaving us with something to return to on tough days. We often
find ourselves discussing his weekly blog together informally. There is no
scheduled time to meet and discuss, but rather we may strike up a
conversation in the hall or at lunch. In this way, he brings us together as
one large group motivated to move forward together, but also brings us
together in small groups, that focus on similarities of content, grade
level, or interest. It brings us into conversation which ultimately boosts
morale, increases productivity as we care for each other and our students,
and makes us all the more likely to follow him as a leader.

Our district is currently in the process of building a new school. The
elements of an open/social system are evident in every move we make as we
move toward our levy on the November ballot. There is a great history of
football in our community, yet our high school team has been quite
unsuccessful in winning any games the last decade, let alone fielding
enough players to have a team. However, the idea of including a new sports
complex on the ballot is quite appealing to many influential voices in the
community who believe it will help us pass our levy. Additionally, we have
heard a number of ideas and felt pushed by the State to design our building
in pods with furniture and rooms capable of collaboration, arts integration
STEM/STEAM. However, many teachers in our district are unsure that these
things fit our current culture and style. It's certainly a complex
push-pull battle of voices from the top-down and from the inside-out. Our
district is finding itself heavily dependent on our community and the
teachers are finding themselves heavily dependent on the Board and the
Superintendent, all of which have different motivation and desired outcomes
in this project.

--
*Molly Sylvia*
*7th/8th Grade Social Studies Teacher*