[Ouctm-l] A Math Awareness Month Talk Tomorrow!

Klein, Bob kleinr at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 27 13:25:30 EDT 2011

Want to be able to tell your students when they might use math? Why they might want to support funding for research in math? How mathematics and technology can be used with science to solve real and interesting (and real interesting) problems?

Consider coming to see Dr. Just's talk tomorrow (Thursday). This talk is intended for ALL audiences.

Hope to see you there.
BK

Tomorrow:

April is Math Awareness Month, join us for a talk on Thursday, April 28th at 4:10pm in 115 Morton Hall

TITLE: Unraveling Complex systems: What do brains, the internet, and ant colonies have in common?

ABSTRACT:  We are surrounded by complex systems: Power grids, transportation systems, administrative structures, hurricanes, biological systems from cells through organs to ecosystems. The list goes on.  Scientists from a variety of disciplines are trying to understand and predict the behavior of such systems.  How can mathematics contribute to these efforts?  Which mathematical tools are needed for the study of complex systems?  Will existing mathematical tools give us the answers we are seeking, or do we need to develop  new areas of mathematics?  The talk will address these questions at a level accessible to a general audience.