[Newman-l] IMPORTANT - service trip!

Pokas, Olivia op728808 at ohio.edu
Thu Aug 25 17:46:28 EDT 2011

Hey guys!
I hope everyone had a great summer and is ready to be back in Athens :) Many of you may have heard me talking about a service trip that I was hoping to fashion for us this coming year. Well, it's been done! If you haven't heard of Give Kids the World in Kissimmee, Florida here is a link -- http://www.gktw.org/
         Give Kids The World is a non-profit organization that exists only to fulfill the wishes of all children with
         life-threatening illnesses and their families from around the world to experience a memorable, joyful,
         cost-free visit to the Central Florida attractions, and to enjoy the magic of Give Kids The World Village for
         as long as there is a need.
FYI -- I'm going to throw a lot of information at you because I know I personally always like to be informed about what is going on:
Right now we are scheduled to go there and help out with the activities for the children for a week over Christmas break. With my calculations, the entire trip would be $3,500.  If we raise at least $2,000 over fall quarter that would only make the expense for each person going a little over $100 (which includes transportation and the hotel).  This number may change based on number of people going, how much we actually raise, and if we drive our own cars or rent a van. That being said, let's start saving and thinking of fundraising ideas!

I really wanted to send this email to let you all know I will most likely be getting the ball rolling with this the first week we get back to classes. To make paying easier on everyone I will be collecting 4/5 payments of 25$ throughout the quarter. Father Mark and I have decided that once you make your first payment, you can back out, but you will not be able to get your money back. (Sorry guys, but I have to do this to confirm numbers and to make sure this is possible). Sooo, I want you guys to think about this so it is not all thrown at you the first week back.

We are scheduled to work starting the evening of Monday Nov. 28th and to be finished on the evening of Friday Dec. 2nd.  As of now the best situation would be for us to leave, from Athens, the night of Sunday Nov. 27th as our first shift starts that Monday evening. We will be returning to Athens on Saturday Dec. 3rd. So call of work if you need to! :)

Dates: Nov. 27- Dec. 3
Cost: $125'ish dependent on other factors

I participated in GKTW last winter and I can honestly say it's one of the most rewarding things I've done.  This trip is a fantastic opportunity and I hope you are all as excited as I am and are putting deep consideration into this!

Olivia Pokas
Ohio University | Communication Science and Disorders | Psychology
Women's Club Basketball Vice President
Newman Community Service Chair
Alpha Phi Omega member
OU Habitat for Humanity member