[Mathregionals] Updates from Chairs and Directors Council

Eisworth, Todd eisworth at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 13 13:41:58 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Welcome to week 4 of our pandemic programming.  I wanted to pass along a few notes from the university-wide Chairs and Directors council meeting this morning.  Some of this repeats information I've already sent out.

Howard Dewald

  *   Probationary tenure track faculty will have an automatic 1-year extension to their tenure clock should they choose.   This is independent of other extensions (medical, leave) that may have already occurred or may occur in the future.   Faculty may still choose to go up on the original clock, and there is no deadline associated with choosing between one option or the other.

  *   FFL decisions are still only recommendations to the Board of Trustees at this point.  The university is proceeding as if these leaves will go forward, but nothing is official until the Board of Trustees approves.

  *   If you are currently on FFL and the current crisis has impacted your ability to successfully complete your project, then the university would like to know this information.  I will reach out individually to faculty members currently on leave.

Elizabeth Sayrs

  *   No good news on the budget.  The state's cuts to this year's budget will be on the order of 8 million (by July 1).  A 20% cut next year is an additional 34 million.   This is compared to the 26 million dollar shortfall that we were already attempting to address over multiple years.

  *   Enrollments were tracking ahead of last year 4 weeks ago, but all across the nation people have put plans on hold, so we are down 300-400 students compared to where we were last year.  The Housing Deposit Deadline has been extended to June 1.

  *   The Federal Stimulus plan includes 19.4 million for Ohio University; about half of that is required to go directly to students.

  *   The situation for international students is extraordinarily unclear right now, as the government has stopped processing visas.   This has implications both for new students, and for our current students.

-