[Csi-L] Hello!

Laney Preston laneypreston at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 17:02:17 EDT 2010

Hello Everyone!
   I have a couple of things that I would like to bring to your attention.
1) The last CSI Social will be TOMORROW at Broneys starting at 6pm. I may be getting there a little earlier just because it is Alumni weekend and things may start to get crowded. Feel free to come early....and stay late :)

2) There will be a Memorial Service at 1pm in cemetery 2 at the top of Dairy Barn Hill on Monday May 31st. This event is open to the public and is going to be a great ceremony. If you read below you will see more details. I will be attending this, and I encourage you all to come out as well to help fight the stigma against individuals with mental illness! :)

Memorial Day on the Ridges:
 From the time the first patient was buried in the Ridges
Cemeteries in the late 1870s until recently, no Memorial Day ceremonies were ever
held there. Even the burials themselves were austere - with only four workers, a
chaplain, and a hospital administrator in attendance. It would seem that folks with mental illnesses - buried quickly under numbered stones -were viewed as troublesome misfits, an embarrassment best forgotten. Since 2000, the Ridges Cemeteries Committee  has been working to refurbish and beautify the cemeteries and, in so doing, restore dignity to the deceased and fight stigma against their living counterparts. And,since 2005, we have made sure that Memorial Day is celebrated there, too. This year, our Memorial Day is shaping up to be better than ever. There will be a color guard/rifle squad from the Athens VFW/American Legion; a color guard/drill squad from the Ohio University AFROTC; song by the Sweetadelines; a eulogy by PTSD-wounded Vietnam Veteran Jim McGarrity; words and the placing of flowers on two graves by Ohio's First Lady Frances Strickland and Ohio Department of Mental Health Director Sandra Stephenson; the presence of the daughter,
 granddaughters and great grandson of Viola Rapp - one of those whose graves will be decorated - ; the dedication of a memorial bench to recently-deceased Athens resident Vince Riley; and taps. The media - including a team from WOUB that is making a documentary of the Ridges Cemeteries Project as a whole are also expected to be out in
force.
To get there, drive south on Dairy Lane past the Dairy Barn, around the corner to the right, and up the cemetery driveway to the right. There's plenty of parking.

Thanks!!!

Laney 'Pilar' Preston
 740.817.4149
Ohio University, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Candidate
President, Chi Sigma Iota, Alpha Chapter
Ohio University, BS in Family Studies
Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc.