[CPN] Proposed changes to PhyloCode rules on publication

George Sangster g.sangster at planet.nl
Fri Mar 2 10:06:17 EST 2018

Dear CPN members,

I have made a few comments on the proposed PhyloCode articles on what
constitutes publication (see attached).

I see two problems:

Note 4.2.1. How do we deal with potential violations of the rule that
papers must be peer reviewed? Must there be *evidence* that a journal
(or paper) is peer-reviewed? In other words, is *lack of evidence* for
peer-review sufficient reason to consider a name unavailable? How can we
tell if a paper was not peer-reviewed? (no journal will state this in print)

Art. 4.5 and 5.1. "An electronic publication must not be altered after
it is published" and the publication date is when it "first becomes
available either in print or online".
These rules seem to accept online pre-publications (pdfs), which may be
(i) an accepted (but unedited) manuscript, (ii) uncorrected proofs, or
(iii) corrected proofs (version of record). Any of these could be
regarded as 'the 'first published version' of the manuscript, depending
on which versions are published. Some journals publish all these before
the final paginated version appears online. Art. 4.5 in its present form
would suggest that a published manuscript version could be the ‘correct’
one (because it’s published first), and that the version of record and
final version are just ‘corrections’ or ‘revisions’. Clearly, this is
not desirable.

I am attaching three papers on this subject, which I hope helps us make
up our minds on this matter.

All the best,
George

Dr George Sangster
Department of Bioinformatics and Genetics,
Swedish Museum of Natural History,
P.O. Box 50007,
SE–104 05 Stockholm,
Sweden