[CPN] Proposed changes to PhyloCode rules on publication

James Doyle jadoyle at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 14 17:49:34 EST 2018

Hello Phil,

I'm fine with these changes, with the tiny exception that “supplemental material” would seem to me less uncouth than “supplement material” in 4.2, line 6.

Maybe as a result of reading too much dystopian science fiction, I feel a little uneasy about the rush to make all publication electronic rather than baryonic (of course “as well as” is unquestionably a good thing). Paper may be ephemeral in the long run, but can we be sure things on the Internet aren't even more so? Along similar lines, I like the recognition that PDF may not be eternal and the fact that the code therefore allows for the possibility of a successor format. Who knows, maybe the same is true of the World Wide Web.

Sean’s point about early access versions is an interesting one. It seems hard to rule them out as establishing date of first publication. But isn’t accepting them understood under “becomes available”? My main worry is that years from now the date at which early access versions appeared may be impossible to retrieve.

Contrary to Sean, I think it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution and not accept names proposed only in electronic supplements. I really worry that such supplements will be more ephemeral than the main articles, even though they often include material (like actual data) that will be more useful to readers 100 years from now than the outdated prose in the main text. I also suspect that the peer review of supplements is all too often negligible.

I don’t know enough about ISSN and ISBN numbers to comment on Michel’s questions on these. But I suppose we have to draw the line somewhere. Think of all those fly-by-night fake journals - or do they all have ISSN numbers too? Concerning altering electronic publications, altering the content of the definition is surely more serious than altering the pagination. I see that the draft PhyloCode says "it may be beneficial to cite (in the text) the page on which the protologue or subsequent use appears,” implying that it’s not required, which suggests that changes in pagination between early access and definitive versions shouldn’t invalidate anything.

Jim