[Aphio-L] New Orleans service opp!

Clouse, Sarah sc229207 at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 26 00:06:30 EDT 2010

Hey bros,

First off, I'm pretty sure this only applies to those of you still living in the dorms, so upperclassmen/people living off campus, sorry!!!

The following is an e-mail I received from Michael Korte, the ARA of Adams Hall.  He has asked us to forward this to all of our residents, and I thought it might interest some of you, too.  It is an opportunity to go down to New Orleans over Memorial Day weekend to aid in Hurricane Katrina recovery.  I've been to New Orleans twice in the past year, and there really is still a lot to be done.  It's an awesome, life-changing experience, and if you don't have any plans for Memorial Day Weekend yet (we have the Monday off of school), this really is something you should consider.  If this sounds interesting to you, read on!

"As the ARA of Adams Hall,and in my third year as an RA, I have never been more galvanized and exhilarated over a program than the one I am constructing here in Adams. With the aid of a $1,000 grant from the Residential Housing programming committee I am looking now to take 45 of our Bobcats to New Orleans to assist in recovery and clean-up efforts. I am proud to now extend the invitation to all residents in all residence halls on campus. There are still more than 20 positions to fill on that big OU charter bus to New Orleans!

This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is shaping up to be truly that. The trip will be over Memorial Day Weekend, leaving Athens Thursday May 27 and returning late on May 31 in time for class to resume on Tuesday. Cost is still not definite as fundraiser's and events that will drastically lower the price of the trip have yet to occur and are still in the works. Ballpark price is $50-150 to person.

I remember watching the news coverage in the days following Hurricane Katrina. While feeling devastated and shocked,I also felt a deep need to help. As we near the five year anniversary of this natural catastrophe, the opportunity to help is finally coming to fruition, and unfortunately the people of Louisiana still need our help... badly.This program must proceed for countless rich reasons. The lives of the 45 young people boarding the charter bus, and putting in the dirty work in the still ravaged areas, will be changed forever. It is our civic duty to assist those who need our help. As OU students, what greater legacy could we leave than being known as those who found a way to help anyone we could, anyway we could.

Attention interested students: Please send an email to me (Michael Korte) at mk405906 at ohio.edu with your name, your hall, and major/year. Most importantly write a paragraph or two why it is imperative for you to go to New Orleans and aid in Katrina rebuilding efforts. I expect a tremendous amount of responses so put some time into your paragraphs. I look forward to assembling a fabulous group of committed young people! First come, first serve...Memorial Day is nearly a month away!

Thank-you in helping me Re-New Orleans!

Michael S. Korte
ARA, Adams Hall, Ohio University
mk405906 at ohio.edu
(937) 672-0654"

Sarah Clouse

sc229207 at ohio.edu
Resident Assistant, 4th Floor Foster House
Alpha Phi Omega, Rush Chair