[TSMA-L] ACM Event: From Our Friends in CS

Phil Campbell campbelp at ohio.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:34:41 EDT 2010

This is sure to be of interest to many of you.  It's probably not going
to be hardcore tech.  My guess is it will be more new business start=up
discussion.

Phil

The Accouncment:

The ACM would like to invite you to an event this Wednesday, April 14th,
at 7pm in Stocker 103.  The presentation will be given by Alan Schaaf an
OU undergraduate in CS who is the founder of imgur.com a highly ranked
image sharing site.  He will be discussing his experiences with
developing and managing the site.  Pizza will be provided.  An abstract
is included below:

Alan Schaaf is the founder of imgur.com, an image hosting website
which quickly gained popularity among social news sites such as Reddit
and Digg. Imgur was developed early in 2009 and in less than a year it
achieved an Alexa ranking of 500 and currently serves more than 25
million images to the Internet every day. Because of its rapid growth,
Imgur experienced several unique and challenging scaling issues that
Alan had to deal with, all while being an undergraduate computer
science student at Ohio University.

--
Philip D. Campbell           Director / Associate Professor
McClure School of Information and Telecommunication Systems

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to
use as my telephone.  My wish has come true.  I no longer
know how to use my telephone."
Bjarne Stroustrup
Computer Scientist, Inventor of C++