[State_authorization_update] state authorization updates

Stone, Kia stonek1 at ohio.edu
Fri Aug 7 16:16:16 EDT 2015

Good afternoon everyone,

Here is the latest information concerning state authorization that has been circulating in the last month.

In the preparation for a WCET event, Russ Poulin realized there are still a lot of commonly held myths about state authorization for distance education<https://wcetblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/myths-about-state-auth/> and has shared them with our community in a recent Frontiers blog.

Illinois is ninth state approved for participation in the Midwestern-State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.

SARA is a nationwide initiative of states that will make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines and make it easier for states to regulate and institutions to participate in interstate distance education.

"Illinois' adoption of the SARA process to approve quality distance learning opportunities for Illinois students who desire to use distance education to achieve their college degrees is an important step. SARA not only serves students by ensuring quality courses, but also helps Illinois colleges and universities to provide access to useful online courses to students around the nation," said James Applegate, executive director of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

Please spread the word about State Authorization and share the available links with other staff and faculty, with the fall semester beginning soon, we would like to make sure that we are maintaining compliance in every area.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks!

Kia

Kia D. Stone, M.S.
Coordinator of Compliance and Quality Assurance
[QM Implemenation Logo]  Quality Matters Coordinator
Ohio University
740.593.2558