[Stars] STARS MINUTES

Stars at Ohio University ohioustars at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 22:15:54 EDT 2011

Hey guys,

    Here are the MINUTES for today's Meeting, its a little lengthy but
enjoy!

*STARS MINUTES 4-11-11*

   - Introductions
      - Apparently Sara is 'Swag-tastic"
      - Thank you to all the new people who came out to today's meeting,
      hopefully you will come back and join us.

   - Diversity Training
   - For our next Diversity training for the quarter, majority of us
      (besides Micia) thought April 23 would be the best date for everyone to
      attend. So, at this time the Diversity Training will be on
Saturday, April
      23 from 12 to 4 p.m. Keith will forward this information to Dr. Bridges.
      - Also possibly do another Diversity Training this quarter, in order
      to prep for Pre-College sessions.
         - We need to get together to break down the Diversity Training
         Module; in terms of the levels certain activities place and
the groups for
         which they are given. We can talk about it more during our
next meeting.

   - The Student Council For Exceptional Children Organization wants STARS
   to facilitate and participate in some of our diversity activities with their
   members.
      - Possible date that we can do it is on May 8, they said anytime after
      April 24 is good with them. They meet every Sunday at 8 in McCracken, the
      room has to be checked,
      - I will email her telling her the time we think would work best, and
      she can just email me more information later.

   - Think of some events for Yae-Wen's communication studies class to get
   involved in.
      - Possibly let them work with us during our RA Training Sessions
      - Also maybe having them help us do some diversity activities with an
      elementary class
         - Stephanie can you send me the Teacher's email? Please give it to
         me no later than Wednesday

   - Dues
      - Everyone has pretty much paid all their dues, so good job everyone!

   - Tom Martinez event went really well and great job to everyone for all
   your hard work.
      - We agreed that some improvements that can be made for future STARS
      events, like this, is to be better with our organization skills
so we wont
      have to panic about the small stuff so close to the deadline.
Also to make
      sure all the financial issues are all worked out ahead of time.

   - Speakers for this Quarter
      - Some possible speakers we can have come for this quarter are Dr.
      Houston and Dr. Chen
         - Next meeting we can discuss if we want them both to speak and
         which speakers should be open for all students. We will strive to have
         everything confirmed by week 5.

   - Announcements
   - May 14 from 3 to 7 p.m. the Belly Dance Club will be hosting a Belly
      Dance Festival and they want STARS to set up a table during the event and
      they also want some of us to be the Liaison for some of the
visiting Belly
      Dancers, to show them around Ohio University and give them a
diverse view of
      the campus.
         - People who said they could show the guest around town are: Shad,
         Kendra, Katie, Stephanie, Alex
         - People who are interested in working the table are: Keith and
         Micia
      - STARS needs to make a new poster, since our last one has called it
      quits on us.
      - The Ohio University Collegiate Middle Level Association is
      interested in having STARS speak to their members. They have
meeting every
      other Wednesday at 8pm , the dates that are open for us to speak is April
      20, May 4 and 18, and June 1
         - Preferred days are April 20 or May 4 and the people who are
         interested in helping are Micia, Stephanie, and Alex
         - Keith will forward more information once he gets it.
      - Pride Week is This Week! So if you are available please come out and
      support, here are the remaining events for this week:
         - April 12 Safe Zone is from 2:30 to 4:30 pm
         - April 12 LGBT Panel Discussion 7:30 to 9 p.m in Baker Theater
         - April 13 Homophobia in the Black Community 6:30 to 7pm in Baker
         242
         - April 14 Dine & Discuss with Brian Sims (Pizza Provided) LGBT
         Center (Baker 354)
         Noon - 1 pm
         - April 14 Homophobia in Athletics Discussion on Allies Baker
         Ballroom A
         7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
         - April 15 National Day of Silence All Day Breaking the Silence
         LGBT Center (Baker 354) 7 pm
         - Saturday April 16 Athens' Beautification Day
         Scripps Amphitheater 10:30 am

   - STARS Website is updated weekly by our wonderful co-president, Keith,
   so remember to keep checking the website for important information and/or
   announcements.

Those are all the Minutes for this week's Meeting, also for the Exec Board
our meeting is Thursdays at 5 pm in the Front Room, so dont forget to come.

Hope you all have a great week,

Micia Clemmons
Secretary of STARS
Mc970808 at ohio.edu

--
Laura Hyde
lh264909 at ohio.edu

Keith Hawkins
Co-President of STARS
Honors Tutorial College, Astrophysics Major
kh148408 at ohio.edu