[Spa-L] Joining Forces to Serve Student Veterans

Mieke Blackwell blackwem at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 15 12:25:34 EDT 2009

Professional Development Opportunity!

------------ Forwarded Message ------------
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:18 AM -0400
From: Michael Griest <mgriest at urbana.edu>
To: Michael Griest <mgriest at urbana.edu>
Subject: Joining Forces to Serve Student Veterans

Joining Forces to Serve Student Veterans

A Symposium

Bowling Green State University, along with Owens Community College, the

Ohio College Personnel Association and the Ohio Academic Advising

Association, will host a one-day symposium to explore how better to

serve the needs of our returning student veterans. Our purpose is to

encourage collaboration among campus, community, government, and

students. We cordially invite you join us. If you are unable to attend,

we request that you forward this invitation to other staff members who

work with student veterans.

          This symposium will address these questions:

•           Who are our student veterans?

•           What strengths do they bring to campus?

•           What challenges face student veterans?

•           What can student affairs professionals do to support them?

May 22, 2009

9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Bowling Green State University

Bowen Thomas Student Union, Room 201

Featured speakers and panelists will include John Schupp, Project SERV,

Cleveland State University; and Danny Eakins, Ohio GI Promise, OBOR.

There will also be panel discussions featuring student veterans and

other interactive sessions.

Registration is free and open to faculty, student affairs professionals,

and administrators. Space is limited, so please reserve your seat early

by completing and submitting the attached registration form.

Participants are requested to bring along copies of materials or

resources they are currently using with student veterans to share at our

free materials market.

For further information contact:

Jacey Parks

Owens Community College