[SEOMTC] The Global Math Week!

Klein, Bob kleinr at ohio.edu
Mon May 15 11:04:05 EDT 2017

Math Circlers:
Very often we have heard in our Math Teachers’ Circle how much you like the sessions but wonder how to “bring them back” to the classroom in some form. I have a great opportunity to do just this.

You have seen Exploding Dots as part of our SouthEast Ohio Math Teachers’ Circle. Or maybe you saw James Tanton (creator of ExplDots) describe it in the keynote at Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics meeting. But that just scratched the surface!

You have an opportunity to join other teachers around the world to bring together 1 million students to engage in joyful mathematics around the idea of Exploding Dots.

IT IS CALLED GLOBAL MATH WEEK and it is absolutely free. There are videos, curriculum, and chances to interact with students and classes from around the world.

I am an ambassador to the project because I believe that it is a way to communicate the beauty and fun of mathematics in an accessible and honest manner.
Please go to https://www.theglobalmathproject.org/gmw to see more details and to consider registering.

Ask me if you have questions. I think this is going to be memorable for all of us. Years from now it may be the thing that one of your students looks back on and says, “that is when I decided that I wanted to study math.”

Best regards and thanks!
Bob