[OUWC] Minutes 1/11/12 (EVERYONE needs to look at this! Read the top!)

Lubbers, Ellen el181107 at ohio.edu
Thu Jan 12 12:31:02 EST 2012

Minutes!
People who WERE at the meeting yesterday- You still need to look at this! Items in RED require action from everyone!!

People who were not at the meeting yesterday: You must read these minutes! You are responsible for ALL information contained in this e-mail, even if you had an excused absence! If it is BLUE or RED, it requires action from you!!

If you were not at the meeting, you need to let us know why- Meetings are MANDATORY! Let Asa know why you were not there.  Starting next week, you will be charged $5 for each unexcused meeting, so be there!

Savannah-
Roster and contact info sheet was sent around- If you were not at the meeting, send Savannah an email (Savannah.bales at gmail.com<mailto:Savannah.bales at gmail.com> or her OU account) with your name, e-mail, and phone number!

If you are not going to be at a practice you must tell Savannah (419-460-2745) AND a coach (Megan Chapman or Sarah Todak via e-mail).  You need to tell them you will miss well ahead of time if possible (if you wake in the morning too sick to come, e-mail coaches and call or text Savannah).  Even if you tell another team member and ask them to tell coach and or Savannah, you MUST contact them directly as well!

Acceptable reasons to miss practice: If you are throwing up or something- stay home!  If you have a cough, a headache, sore throat,  etc. SHOULD be at practice.  You don’t have to kill yourself, but doing the lifting and core at the least.  Of course if you are so ill you can’t sit up, stay home.  Use good judgment. If you know you can do at least some of the work out or cheer on your team mates, you should be at practice.

We should be getting to practices no later than 6:25am.  We will start making wake-up calls then.  You’ve got a 5-minute cushion to work with, but if you are not in ping by 6:30am, every minute you’re late will mean one minute of wall sits for the ENTIRE TEAM! No one likes that, so be on time!
Nice work at practice this week!  Looking good!
Asa-
Contract- See the attached contract about late fees and the repercussions of not meeting financial obligations and practice requirements! If you were not at the meeting, you MUST print it, sign it, and give it to ASA tomorrow at practice or Monday!

             Summary: If you miss a practice you have to make it up and do a supervised 5k, if you miss a meeting you have to pay $5, if you don’t pay your dues on time and do not tell Asa you need more time, you will be charged $1 per day. If you do not pay and do not have a plan to pay with Asa at the end of the quarter, OUWC can put a hold on your account, keeping you from registering or from getting grades.

ALL of these things can be easily avoided!

-          Tell Savannah AND Coach if you will miss practice

-          Tell Asa if you will miss a meeting

-          Talk to Asa about extending payment deadlines / making a payment plan if you can’t make a payment

-          Talk to Asa if you cannot pay off fees by the end of the quarter so we can be sure there’s no holds!

-          EASY!

Dues are due next week at the general meeting! The winter dues are $65.  To avoid late fees, talk to Asa before the meeting if you cannot pay next week!

If you have a balance from last quarter, talk to Asa about when you are going to be able to pay it!

Stephanie-

Fundraising stuff

Rent-a-Rower- We handed out posters for rent-a-rower.  Hang them up and hand them out. People who need something done (babysitting, dog-walking, cleaning, yard work etc.) will e-mail Steph and she will assign someone to do it. People may also employ you directly, just make sure Steph knows and Asa gets the money.

Serving at Red Brick- Stephanie is working it out so hopefully we can serve some night at redbrick and take a cut of the profit! She will ask for days! She sent around a sign-up sheet at the meeting, but don’t worry about it if you weren’t there.

Bracelets- We handed out bunches of bracelets at the meeting to sell.  They are fun and easy to sell. They have been handmade my families in the Philipines who have little opportunity for work and little hope to make their lives better.  These bracelets and the profits from them will help improve quality of like for the impoverished families.  They each are to be sold for $2- $1 will go back to the families, and $1 will go to the team! WIN-WIN!

http://threadsofhope.com.ph/about.htm if you’re interested!

If you have other ideas, let Steph know! Remember: the more money we make in fundraising, the more we can reduce the price to row for you!

Maddie-

Community Service- ArtsWest- we will be doing a little project where once (maybe twice, depending) a week 2 members of the team will go sit in the lobby and do homework or hang out while directing people who come in to the right room (the only room open).  It’s SO easy and if everyone chips in we’ll each only have to go once a quarter!

Apparel-

(Note that all apparel except the Uni is optional!)

Thoughts on a winter training shirt?  People were interested.

We went through the items we will have available to but this quarter and made some very general decisions.

-          Sweatshirts- Hoods, pockets, pullovers, names on back

-          Sweatpants- Pockets, no-elastic bottoms

-          Camp Bob Shirts- White (for fun industrial tye-dye at camp!), tank tops! (Close vote!)

-          Winter training- T-shirts

More design decisions will be made soonish! Start thinking about what you want!

Jackets- After one year with the team, you can get Varsity jackets.  You shouldn’t wear them before you’ve done one year.  BUT they’re cheaper if you order them in bigger numbers! So, you have the option of buying one now with a group and having the team hold it until you have done 3 seasons (so after Dad Vail if you began in the fall).  They’ll be cheaper with >6 people ordering. Probably we will have enough to have a second order in the fall, but there are no guarantees.  Talk to Maddie about pricing if you think you might be interested.  Be warned they are expensive! (Though VERY nice! :) )

Ellen-

Winter Competition Schedule!

There will be 3 Erg Sprints- you should plan to go to 2 of them.

2/12 in Cincinnati $15- HS and College event - We will enter in only the college races, of course! This will be a day trip, leave in the morning, return in the evening.

2/19 in Boston     $20- considered the World Erg Championships- HUGE race, lots of really good rowers from other countries! We will have to stay overnight there (at Asa’s house) and the drive will be longer/ more expensive.  http://www.crash-b.org/

NOTE: If you want to go to CRASHBs, let me know ASAP! We need to register by Sunday night!

The OSU Midwest Erg Championships are required! (2/25/2012) They are at OSU’s RPAC and cost about $25, plus a little money for the drive.  This will be a day trip, leave in the morning, return in the evening.

ListServe- If you are not getting listserve e-mails, LET ME KNOW!

I am also removing everyone from the digest option.  If you want to keep getting all the e-mails at once at 6:00am (not recommended) let me know and I can put you back on it.

Register with US Rowing and submit a waiver and Emergency contact!

Go to https://rosters.usrowing.org

On the right where it says Athletes, but in the Club Code: 7PMMU

Follow the prompts and sign the waiver! DONE! Super-fast, do it NOW!

Camp Bob- Packing list is attached in case you’ll need to get some things from home whenever you go.

The week after next we will have contracts to sign for Bob.  If you sign the contract, you are agreeing to be financially responsible for the Bob costs.  If you cannot go, but signed the contract, it is still your responsibility (though we will work our hardest to make it so you don’t have to pay)! So, think it over, talk to your parents etc.  If you don’t know by then, talk to me and we can work something out!