[Ous-lp-rp13] Update

Larson, William larsonw at ohio.edu
Sun Sep 30 23:12:46 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone!

I hope that you have enjoyed a pleasant weekend and will have a good next week. Please be reminded that the next class session is scheduled for this coming Saturday, October 6.

I am in the process of reviewing and reacting to your Behavioral Learning Papers. I hope to have them to you by Tuesday of this week. As I have been reviewing your Behavioral Learning Papers, I have been pondering cognitivism and its influence on learning.

We are studying behavioral, cognitive, and constructivist learning in order that you as a teacher now and as an educational leader later can understand and then exhibit/model instruction that contributes to learning.

After all, the desired outcome of instruction is learning. I tend to become somewhat "crazy," when a teacher exclaims that he/she taught the information and the blame belongs with the student if he/he did not learn it.

Two primary aspects of cognitivism, of which I am certain that you are aware, are short and long term memory. See < http://www.expertlearners.com/cip_theory.php>.

An obvious objective of instruction is that the information and skills that are being transmitted will end up in a student's long term memory.

Some factors enhance and other factors detract from the transformation of information to long term memory.

For enhancers, see:

*         "10 Strategies to Enhance Students' Memory" at < http://www.readingrockets.org/article/10-strategies-enhance-students-memory>.

*         "Holding Information in Mind: Impact on Long Term Memory" at < https://www.allkindsofminds.org/holding-information-in-mind-holding-information-in-mind-impact-of-long-term-memory>.

For enhancers and detractors, see:

*         "Long Term Memory" at < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_memory>.

For detractors, see:

*         "Factors that Inhibit the Learning Process" at < https://coggle.it/diagram/WdyAz2gXiQABPLyF/t/factors-that-inhibit-learning-process>.

*         "Human Factors that Inhibit Learning" at < https://www.flightliteracy.com/human-factors-that-inhibit-learning/>.

*         "Learning Smart" at < http://smartisstudy.blogspot.com/2010/05/factors-that-inhibit-learning.html>.

Might you ponder this message and the six articles mentioned above between now and the October 6 class session? I hope that we can discuss strategies that you might use to enhance learning and reduce learning detractors.

Until then, Bill