[Ous-lp-rp13] Intersections: Leadership, Management, Intrinsic, Extrinsic

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Thu Jun 28 09:11:34 EDT 2018

* Leadership - Management - Extrinsic – Intrinsic §  Leadership is defined
as “A process of social influence in which one person is able to enlist the
aid and support of others to accomplishment of a common task.” (Hoy &
Miskel) §  An action of leading a group of people or an organization. §
Leadership is a process of influence, occurs in groups, and involves common
goals. §  It is distributed both formally and informally and has rational,
social, and emotional bases. §  Personality, motivation, and skills are
traits that are exhibited within a leader. §   Leaders are often motivated
intrinsically. §  Self-confident leaders lead by setting high goals for
themselves and others. §  They have task and interpersonal needs,
expectations, and self-efficacy. §  Leaders must have motivation, the will
to succeed, and the desire to do well, which is an essential part of
leadership progress. §   Motivation is a necessary key for leaders to
achieve success.  §  There are two types of motivation: intrinsic and
extrinsic. §   Intrinsic motivation is the will to succeed by changing
oneself from within. §  Extrinsic motivation is the performance that is
driven by external rewards. §  Individuals have to be motivated
intrinsically (within) and then they have to be rewarded with external
benefits and benefits to achieve the best results in organizations. §
Administrators or subordinates who are only motivated by external rewards
do not make successful or great leaders. §  Transactional leadership- you
give me this, I’ll give you that (Manager), extrinsic motivation (if you do
what I ask of you I will reward you, if not I will punish you). §
Transformational leadership- enhances motivation, moral, and performance.
Being a role model for followers that inspires them (intrinsic motivation).
§  On the other hand, administrators or subordinates who are not rewarded
for their performance can lose interest and morale. §  Both leadership and
managerial intersections are crucial to be an effective administrator.  §
The intersections of both traits benefit an administrator because a leader
could inspire and motivate their followers, while acting as a manager in
insuring everyone follows through on their tasks. §  The two roles go hand
in hand in being a well-rounded and effective administrator.   Link:
https://create.piktochart.com/output/14978885-intrinsic-extrinsic-motivation
<https://create.piktochart.com/output/14978885-intrinsic-extrinsic-motivation>
*

*Amanda Luttrell*