[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer Question #2

Dusti Chapman dchapman91 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:39:37 EDT 2018

Danielle, I just want to say that I can definitely understand the struggle
with emotional barriers. I tend to cry (a lot-oops). I don't do it in front
of others, but I tend to beat myself up in private with my emotions and let
them get the best of me. Mainly because I struggle too much with caring of
what others think or feel about me. In addition, I feel the need to be more
updated on technical skills like you stated. Being a fresh, new teacher
makes me feel a little inferior since I am not up to par with school and
test report data. I am eager to learn new information and hopefully get
more technical training.

I really enjoy these assignments. It truly helps with seeing many point of
views and valid points to take in consideration. I think it is very
important to be well rounded in views. I appreciate your honesty in how you
define your strengths and weaknesses. It is not always easy to be able to
specifically state these and be reflective of our own traits. I know you
mentioned staying in comfort zones, and I can relate to this. However, I
hope you will find other areas to be able to branch out in. For me
personally, it is hard for me to make friends and go out with people. My
comfort zone is very limited to family, my husband and children. I often
envy people who are so flexible in branching out. On the opposite side, I
am very comfortable in jumping out of other comfort zones that other people
may have. For instance, sky diving is scary to some people, but it is
something I did. We all have comfort zones in some ways although they may
differ from person to person. Hopefully we can all learn to branch out as
educators. As it will certainly be vital to be a successful leader.

Original Post: Danielle Ramage

Personality, motivational, and skill based leadership traits are needed to
be an effective leader. Some specific skills are more necessary than others
depending on the level of administration. (Hoy and Miskel)

When looking at the different leadership traits there are some that I feel
like I already have and others that I need to work on. Some traits that are
already exhibited in me are integrity, extroversion, expectations, and
interpersonal. I am very honest. I don’t cheat or lie. I am extroverted and
can get along well with almost anyone. Even if they are a person I wouldn’t
be close friends with I know how to be friendly and communicate with them.
I try to be very explicit in my expectations to my students in my
classroom. I see this being no different as an administrator.

Some traits that I need to continue to work on are self-confidence,
emotional maturity, stress tolerance, and some technical skills.  I am not
always confident in my abilities, especially if it is a task that requires
me to step out of my comfort zone. Although I would have described myself
as a person who prefers things to be “safe, comfortable, and prepared”, as
I age life experiences are teaching me to lighten up and live a little; to
take some risks. Another area that is currently under construction in me is
my emotions. I am a pretty emotional person. When I am very upset, angry,
or feel affronted many times I end up crying. This is something I
desperately must work to improve upon before becoming an administrator. I
do continue to work on holding myself together and keeping an even tone
when I am upset and then letting it all out at a more appropriate time and
place. Another area of improvement would be handling stress.  I have
noticed that I physically get sick to my stomach when I am very tired or
worn out. Lastly, I think I need to begin now on having a better
understanding of some technical skills such as discerning state test scores
and school report card data.  I think that through the experiences of this
program, to include the internship where I hope to* really* get an inside
look at being a principal, will only help me to work on these
(self-defined) deficiencies. I think that everyday in everyway we should
work to make improvements.