[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer to Question #3

Miller, Ashton an038712 at ohio.edu
Mon Jun 25 23:21:35 EDT 2018

Danielle,

I have also learned that knowing yourself is such a huge part of being an administrator.  Of all of the things we have learned so far, I think this is one of the biggest points to take away.

I am also a planner and I like to be prepared.  I make lists, as well.  I live by them.  If I do not write things down, I forget about them or things do not get done.  This goes for school work, house work, paying bills, grocery shopping... literally everything in my life revolves around lists and they are everywhere to be found.  I view this as a good organizational quality that we both have.  Sometimes you just have to go with it and forget about making a list, but most of the time, lists are great and so is being a planner! I am also a procrastinator.  As I said in my original post, everything gets done and it gets done on time, but not usually with time for error. I, as well, need to work on staying more on track and timely.

The best quality, in my opinion, that you mentioned in your original post was that you are naturally reflective.  I, on the other hand, have to sit down and actually think to myself, "Okay, so how did that go? What could I have done to make it better? What would I do or not do differently next time?" This is something that I need to get better at, but for you, I think it is a great compliment to your personality, especially pertaining to being an administrator!

Original Post:

One thing that I have learned so far is that as an administrator it is important to know yourself. As I think about myself as an administrator there are certain barriers I will face because of my personality despite my efforts to avoid them.

Task-oriented behaviors: I do like to make a list and check things off as I go. I am a planner. I like to be prepared. I am guilty of stepping up to the plate and taking the lead of a task while waiting on someone else to volunteer. As an administrator it will be important for me to learn to delegate tasks out to trusting individuals. Also, on the whole I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator. I will need to make sure that I keep myself on track in order to meet deadlines and handle an administrator’s business efficiently.

Relations-oriented: I am an extrovert. I enjoy meeting new people and talking. Sometimes I am very critical of myself that I talk too much or that I put my nose in or interject my opinion in business that it not mine.  I feel like I need to learn to just tend to ‘my own monkeys in my circus’. (You know the saying “Not my circus, not my monkeys” in reference to minding one’s own business). Also, I am an empathetic person. I consider myself compassionate. I do what I can to be a help to others.  However, as a principal, I am certain I will struggle with dealing with whiny teachers, parents, and students who don’t really have a valid reason for their complaints other than the expectancy theory.  Even as I write this it seems rather harsh but the truth is I struggle with this now as a teacher in regards to those coworkers who are ALWAYS complaining about something.

Change-oriented:  I have experienced a lot of change in my relatively short teaching career. I understand that change is inevitable. I try to approach everything I do, whether it’s something of my choosing or not, with a positive attitude. I think this is so very important in regards to dealing with and invoking change.  A natural habit of mine is to be reflective and I often try to think of ways to make improvements. As administrator it will be important to help my staff learn to embrace change as it comes and to help them create change.

Embracing a growth mindset, I will continue to work to on task, relation, and change- oriented behaviors as I prepare for potential administrative jobs.