[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer Question #3

danielle.ramage danielle.ramage at vc-k12.us
Mon Jun 25 23:00:25 EDT 2018

Saretta,I too have noticed that each of our visitors have mentioned relationships with people changing after becoming a principal. It's a little sad isn't it?! I also have a bit of a "people pleaser" in me. I also will take on way more work in efforts to help ease someone else's load. These things just can't be so as a principal. I am really intrigued about becoming a principal in a home or close to home district. I want to work for the kids of my county but also, starting out sonewhere new might take the pressure of "we know you"  from the community away.

-------- Original message --------From: Saretta Jackson <sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us> Date: 6/21/18  10:58 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: ous-lp-rp13 at listserv.ohio.edu Subject: [Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Realizing my strengths and weaknesses, and being aware of my
overall personality traits will guide me in making the best decisions possible
in an administrative position.  I know
that I do not have a “task oriented” personality.  I fear that this is an area where I may fall
short.  I am a bit of a procrastinator,
and I know that deadlines are hard and fast in the world of
administration.  I also have a tendency
to feel overwhelmed to the point where I will put something off until the last
minute, justifying my actions with the phrase that I work well under pressure.  However, I feel that with experience in the
field, as well as, incremental success, coupled with the ability to call on
other strong administrators, I will be able to addresses this area with
success.

Maintaining healthy relationships with faculty and staff is
an area of great importance in being an administrator.  My weakness in this area will be people
pleasing.  One of the detriments to my
personality is that I am a people pleaser.
In a leadership/management role, you cannot please everyone.    To do so would be to go against what you feel are
your core beliefs.  Not everyone is going
to be happy with the choices or decisions that I may make, as an administrator,
and I will have to come to terms with that.
All of the guest speakers we have had visit our cohort have mentioned
this aspect of administration.  They have
all stated that it is important to make sure that you stand behind what you
believe, even at the cost of some of your close relationships.

Change is a part of life.
It is also a part of keeping current with the ever changing field of
education. My weakness in this area will be the fear of change.  I know that I will feel some anxiety with any
changes that may have to be made while I am an administrator.  Overcoming the fear of the unknown and
embracing that the change may work, or it may not work, will be an ongoing
challenge.  Acknowledging my weaknesses
and knowing that there are people/resources to help overcome those weaknesses
will go far in making me a better administrator.