[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #3

Saretta Jackson sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us
Thu Jun 21 22:58:25 EDT 2018

Realizing my strengths and weaknesses, and being aware of my overall
personality traits will guide me in making the best decisions possible in
an administrative position.  I know that I do not have a “task oriented”
personality.  I fear that this is an area where I may fall short.  I am a
bit of a procrastinator, and I know that deadlines are hard and fast in the
world of administration.  I also have a tendency to feel overwhelmed to the
point where I will put something off until the last minute, justifying my
actions with the phrase that I work well under pressure.  However, I feel
that with experience in the field, as well as, incremental success, coupled
with the ability to call on other strong administrators, I will be able to
addresses this area with success.

Maintaining healthy relationships with faculty and staff is an area of
great importance in being an administrator.  My weakness in this area will
be people pleasing.  One of the detriments to my personality is that I am a
people pleaser.  In a leadership/management role, you cannot please
everyone.    To do so would be to go against what you feel are your core
beliefs.  Not everyone is going to be happy with the choices or decisions
that I may make, as an administrator, and I will have to come to terms with
that.  All of the guest speakers we have had visit our cohort have
mentioned this aspect of administration.  They have all stated that it is
important to make sure that you stand behind what you believe, even at the
cost of some of your close relationships.

Change is a part of life.  It is also a part of keeping current with the
ever changing field of education. My weakness in this area will be the fear
of change.  I know that I will feel some anxiety with any changes that may
have to be made while I am an administrator.  Overcoming the fear of the
unknown and embracing that the change may work, or it may not work, will be
an ongoing challenge.  Acknowledging my weaknesses and knowing that there
are people/resources to help overcome those weaknesses will go far in
making me a better administrator.