[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer for Question # 3

Jessica Orr jessica.orr at ccsd.us
Fri Jun 22 08:35:41 EDT 2018

Nick,
I appreciate the candid manner in which you responded to the prompt, and I,
too, struggle with empathizing with those around me. For example, this year
I had a student in my class who had previously failed the course. Instead
of getting to know him, I began to make assumptions based on his previous
performance. Likewise, my tendency to be introverted leads me to avoid
interacting with people with whom I should be empathizing, which is a
quality that will not serve me well as a principal. Building effective
relationships with direct reports, administrative colleagues, students, and
community members is an integral aspect of an effective principalship. In
fact, the most desired form of power--referent power--is founded on the
idea of getting along and building relationships with others. Empathy is
key, and when we show it to others, we will certainly reap the benefits.

To help increase my empathy toward others, I have to remind myself on a
daily basis that other individuals I encounter likely are facing or have
faced greater hardships or obstacles than I am facing or have faced.
Continually, the words “give them the benefit of the doubt” resonate within
me. Not only is that mindset characteristic of authentic leadership, as you
noted, but it is also a principle of servant leadership, which can lead to
healing and a fostered sense of trust. In the situation with the student I
previously mentioned, when I opened my mind and gave him the opportunity to
share his story, his burdens, and his struggles, I was able to put myself
in his shoes and build a relationship with him that enabled me to meet his
needs and let him know I cared. Ultimately, as principals, we must strive
to build up our school communities, and as you mentioned, building empathy
is a great place to begin.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Nicholas Turon <nicholas.turon at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *I believe the relations-orientation may provide the most barriers to me,
> personally, as an administrator. I think I will set and accomplish goals
> just fine. I believe I can rally people around a cause, paint a crystal
> clear vision of a brighter future, and maintain momentum towards change.
> However, I sometimes have the hardest time getting along with certain
> people.On a surface level, I can get along with almost anyone. However, I
> have found that in the back of my head I can be incredibly judgemental,
> especially toward incompetence. I like to think I have gotten better at
> holding back assumptions, but it is still something with which I
> struggle.The phrase “presume the positive” has helped me quite a bit since
> starting teaching. When I have one-on-one meetings I am quite good at
> keeping my judgements at bay. However, I have much to work on when I don’t
> have time to mentally prepare. When students surprise me with “I’m not
> going to the concert tonight” it is difficult for me to not fire back “than
> you will fail” before hearing or even asking for the why.This is very
> important for me to work on as I want to be as authentic as possible. And
> it is difficult to maintain and grow an authentic positive working
> relationship when I actively believe a untrained monkey could do their job
> better. This issue has led to many internal struggles and a long reading
> list and is what I believe will be my biggest struggle in balancing the
> three orientations.*
>
> *Nicholas Turon*
> Director of Bands
> Paint Valley Local Schools
> nicholas.turon at gmail.com
> (740)-816-8266

Thank you,

*Jessica Orr*
English Teacher
Department Coordinator
Chillicothe High School
Phone: (740) 702-2287, ext. 16231

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you
have something to say."
       --F. Scott Fitzgerald