[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer for Question #3

Taylor, Dakota dt264910 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 21 23:42:33 EDT 2018

Saretta, I like how you mentioned that being aware of your personality traits will support your decision making ability in an administrative position. As most of us, myself included, quite possibly didn’t view personality traits as huge parts of administrative work, but it certainly is. I am also guilty of being a procrastinator, but I view it as a strength because I view procrastination as a comfort issue. Comfort as in, you are comfortable in your current situation and you have not been pushed to a limit that will challenge you physically, mentally, and intellectually to work day-in and day-out toward a bigger purpose or goal. Something bigger than yourself. I am saying you, as in me, you, each individual in our cohort, and one day our subordinates that are following our lead and becoming effective leaders themselves.

As you read just now, I am a big picture thinker/personality. This is why I also like your reflection because I am able to analyze your attention to detail. I certainly believe your attention to detail and self-awareness to be valuable traits that will help you remain aware of your own perspective of situations and take into consideration other’s viewpoints and personalities. You mentioned that you would seek advice from a mentor or fellow administrator to help supplement your personal weaknesses, and I believe this to be an excellent approach because these face-to-face resources/multiple perspectives will enhance the effectiveness of your administrative duties. Thank you!

EDAD 6010, Response to Answer for Question #3

“Realizing my strengths and weaknesses, and being aware of my overall personality traits will guide me in making the best decisions possible in an administrative position.  I know that I do not have a “task oriented” personality. I fear that this is an area where I may fall short. I am a bit of a procrastinator, and I know that deadlines are hard and fast in the world of administration.  I also have a tendency to feel overwhelmed to the point where I will put something off until the last minute, justifying my actions with the phrase that I work well under pressure. However, I feel that with experience in the field, as well as, incremental success, coupled with the ability to call on other strong administrators, I will be able to addresses this area with success.

Maintaining healthy relationships with faculty and staff is an area of great importance in being an administrator.  My weakness in this area will be people pleasing. One of the detriments to my personality is that I am a people pleaser.  In a leadership/management role, you cannot please everyone. To do so would be to go against what you feel are your core beliefs.  Not everyone is going to be happy with the choices or decisions that I may make, as an administrator, and I will have to come to terms with that.  All of the guest speakers we have had visit our cohort have mentioned this aspect of administration. They have all stated that it is important to make sure that you stand behind what you believe, even at the cost of some of your close relationships.

Change is a part of life.  It is also a part of keeping current with the ever changing field of education. My weakness in this area will be the fear of change.  I know that I will feel some anxiety with any changes that may have to be made while I am an administrator. Overcoming the fear of the unknown and embracing that the change may work, or it may not work, will be an ongoing challenge.  Acknowledging my weaknesses and knowing that there are people/resources to help overcome those weaknesses will go far in making me a better administrator.”

By Saretta Jackson

Dakota Taylor

Teacher/Coach

(304) 208-0198