[Ous-lp-rp13] Greenberg- Matters of Equity

Miller, Ashton an038712 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 21 11:52:32 EDT 2018

Danielle Ramage, Ashton Miller, Mary Matney

Greenberg: Matters of Equity

  *   Equity theory says that a person’s perception is relative to his or her own reality.  We compare ourselves to others and base our thought of whether we are being treated fairly or not based on how we perceive that others around us are being treated.  If input and output rations are fair between us and who we compare ourselves to, we would assume that we are being treated fair if the result is the same. If input and output ratios are the same between us and the other person, but the other person receives better results or more of a reward, we look at that as being unjust.
  *   Three issues with this theory:

  1.  it is subjective
  2.   individuals are more sensitive to receiving less than they deserve rather than more.
  3.  Equity and justice are important motivating forces to many individuals.

  *   As an administrator, it is important to have a baseline that is equitable, but expectations need to be made when necessary to the situation.
  *   “Fair isn’t everybody getting the same thing.  Fair is everybody getting what they need in order to be successful.” –We will always try to be fair but it won’t always feel equal.
  *   It’s very important for direct reports to determine what is fair and equal from the very beginning because they will take ownership of their behavior.  This will also alleviate many potential problems, competitions among coworkers, and disagreements.