[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Question #2

Ian Snyder isnyder at minfordfalcons.net
Sun Jun 17 18:10:05 EDT 2018

While reading your response I had to pause where you said "I am extroverted
and can get along well with almost anyone." As I think of that I think of
all the different teachers I work with, the parents I have dealt with, and
the rest of the community members. Each one of these groups will bring
forth difficulties in communicating and will, at times, never come to an
agreement on a situation. When situations arise where coming to an
agreement may be difficult it is important that we keep out eyes on the
goal and do what's best for the school system and most importantly, the
students.

We each have traits that we are constantly working on and we should never
be content and settle with who we are. Emotions is a very big part of who
we are and how we react to situations. Being able to control our emotions
at times can be difficult because we know what we want and what we think
may be best for the students. As an administrator, what we can do is
maintain a positive attitude and culture so that we continue to progress.

Danielle:

Personality, motivational, and skill based leadership traits are needed to
be an effective leader. Some specific skills are more necessary than others
depending on the level of administration. (Hoy and Miskel)

When looking at the different leadership traits there are some that I feel
like I already have and others that I need to work on. Some traits that are
already exhibited in me are integrity, extroversion, expectations, and
interpersonal. I am very honest. I don’t cheat or lie. I am extroverted and
can get along well with almost anyone. Even if they are a person I wouldn’t
be close friends with I know how to be friendly and communicate with them.
I try to be very explicit in my expectations to my students in my
classroom. I see this being no different as an administrator.

Some traits that I need to continue to work on are self-confidence,
emotional maturity, stress tolerance, and some technical skills.  I am not
always confident in my abilities, especially if it is a task that requires
me to step out of my comfort zone. Although I would have described myself
as a person who prefers things to be “safe, comfortable, and prepared”, as
I age life experiences are teaching me to lighten up and live a little; to
take some risks. Another area that is currently under construction in me is
my emotions. I am a pretty emotional person. When I am very upset, angry,
or feel affronted many times I end up crying. This is something I
desperately must work to improve upon before becoming an administrator. I
do continue to work on holding myself together and keeping an even tone
when I am upset and then letting it all out at a more appropriate time and
place. Another area of improvement would be handling stress.  I have
noticed that I physically get sick to my stomach when I am very tired or
worn out. Lastly, I think I need to begin now on having a better
understanding of some technical skills such as discerning state test scores
and school report card data.  I think that through the experiences of this
program, to include the internship where I hope to* really* get an inside
look at being a principal, will only help me to work on these
(self-defined) deficiencies. I think that everyday in everyway we should
work to make improvements.