[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Question #2

Gamon, Angelica angelica.gamon at huntsmen.org
Thu Jun 14 23:40:13 EDT 2018

*While looking at each of the the structures used within the school
systems, I can say that I do see the professional structure being used
within our school district, as well as authoritarian. I had a principal
that retired a couple of years ago and she was very structured and very
much by the book. She let us help make decisions within our grade level but
at the same time, she had the final say as to what was going to be done.
After she retired, we got our new principal. He has been much more lenient
with the decision making and letting the grade level make the changes that
we felt were necessary. We would have to give an explanation as to why we
felt it would be necessary to have that change but he usually based his
decision on our professional decision. He will be moving into the middle
school this year and we will be getting a new principal. She has been our
special ed coordinator, as well as our curriculum coordinator. From working
with her over the past couple of years, I think that she will be more like
our principal that retired. We also have three teams set up within our
elementary, we meet once a month before school. The first being a culture
team- this team is made up of two teachers from each grade level. During
the meeting, we discuss as a team what we can do kindergarten through
fourth grade to be consistent across the board as far as discipline,
behavior, “catch phrases” that can be used (Huntsmen Pride give me five),
what we can do to get the bus drivers involved with positive behavior, we
discuss Fun Friday (this is a program that we have set up that we do every
4 ½ weeks, it is based on academics, behavior, and attendance. If they meet
the criterias, they get to pick an activity on that Friday to go to, such
as, Petland, outside recess, making flubber, nail salon. The teachers do
the activities and the students get one hour at the end of the day on that
designated Friday). Curriculum team- this team is made up of two teachers
from each grade level. This team discussing the curriculum that we are
using. They talk about what we can do to use the same language with our
students. Compare data and discuss what changes need to be made to give the
students a better understanding on content that is being taught. Staff- the
final team is made up of one teacher from each grade level. During their
meeting, they discuss what we can do as a staff to stay positive. What we
can do to help keep our moral positive. We bring everything back to our
team and discuss everything during our TBT’s. We have a time set up daily
for ten minutes to have our TBT. We then write notes on our discussion for
the week and turn it in to our building principal. *