[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #2

Nicholas Turon nicholas.turon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:43:45 EDT 2018

*My school spends time as all four types of structure -- Weberian,
Authoritarian, Professional, and Chaotic -- although probably least so with
chaotic.Much of the time, I enjoy the luxury of having a professional
structure where I have near complete autonomy to run the band program as I
see fit without jumping through many hoops. As long as I keep my principal
in the loop and have reasoning behind decisions, I am largely trusted to
exercise my specialized professionalism to run the band program.While I am
able to enjoy some bureaucratic freedom, the special education teachers at
my school are far more regulated. They need to document/prove that they are
being state and district compliant at all times. So, while the special
education teachers are highly specialized, they also high amounts of
bureaucracy which is characteristic of a Weberian structure.The other two
structures, at my school, can most easily be found outside of teaching. The
kitchen is highly structured and regulated with very little space for
professional freedoms: authoritarian. The chaotic structure can be found on
the playground with constantly changing and unpredictable dynamics between
children.*
*Nicholas Turon*
Director of Bands
Paint Valley Local Schools