[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question # 2

Jessica Orr jessica.orr at ccsd.us
Wed Jun 13 15:40:30 EDT 2018

 Undoubtedly, a certain combination of traits can strengthen one’s
leadership potential, yet it is likely that the novice leader, like myself,
in addition to possessing some leadership traits, will have certain areas
to improve or refine throughout the various stages of her principalship.
After reviewing multiple sources on leadership traits, I already feel
comfortable with the personality traits associated with emotional maturity
and integrity, having been given the opportunity to display these traits in
a professional setting. In terms of emotional maturity, I embrace a growth
mindset, and I do not hesitate to admit my errors; inarguably, I have
various areas in which I need improvement or refinement, and because of
those areas, I am continually seeking to better myself. Accordingly, when
faults surface, I am quick to admit to them, and I humbly seek to learn
from and correct the mistakes. Additionally, I possess integrity, which
could include trustworthiness, dependability, and honesty. Recently, my
principal assigned me to serve as a point person at our graduation
ceremony; in other words, any issues or questions before or during the
ceremony were to be directed to me, at which point, I would find a solution
or, in extreme circumstances, forward situations to the principal. After
the ceremony, I was able to reflect and identify opportunities for growth.
The principal trusted me, a young and relatively inexperienced educator,
because he recognized my integrity, my dependability, and my emotional
maturity to handle such a task.
On the other hand, I have several areas in which I will need to focus my
attention in the coming years, which include traits associated with
extroversion. In a recent Personal Styles Inventory, I was identified as
having a propensity toward introversion, which could be problematic as a
principal. Effective leaders are broad-minded, which means that they look
for and embrace diversity. As an individual who tends to be more
introverted, seeking out diversity is an area in which I am weak. For
example, in the school setting, I tend to gravitate toward like-minded
individuals rather than seeking individuals with contrasting opinions or
viewpoints. In a principalship, surrounding myself with different
perspectives might serve me well so that I can make informed decisions that
reflect not only my own needs, but the needs of a majority of the
stakeholders in the school. Similarly, I need refinement in the area of
interpersonal skills. While I consider myself a decent communicator, I
struggle at times when asked to collaborate with individuals with different
viewpoints. Such communication requires a balance between being dominant
over others and letting others dominate over me. Oftentimes, I struggle to
find that balance, and at the end of the conversation I realize that either
my voice was not heard at all or that I did not listen to differing
perspectives. Over the next two years, I will need to broaden my comfort
zone in order to develop the necessary traits of leadership. When I do
acquire these traits, I will need to learn to not only possess them, but to
display them as well.

--
Thank you,

*Jessica Orr*
English Teacher
Department Coordinator
Chillicothe High School
Phone: (740) 702-2287, ext. 16231

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you
have something to say."
       --F. Scott Fitzgerald