[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #2

Dustin Tyler dustin.tyler at ccsd.us
Wed Jun 13 10:19:41 EDT 2018

The personality traits are relatively stable dispositions to behave in a
particular way.  I focused on the most important five traits and zeroed in
on my specific deficits associated with effective leadership when
reflecting upon myself.  The five personality traits are self-confidence,
stress tolerance, emotional maturity, integrity, and extroversion.

Self- confidence is defined as a feeling of trust in one's abilities,
qualities, and judgment.  I have a great amount of self-confidence when I
am very informed and knowledgeable about a topic.  The area of
self-confidence that I would like to improve upon is to persist in the face
of problems and defeats.  My confidence goes up and down during a specific
problem including one with a defeat. I would like to persevere and to
transition to acceptance and what I can do better in defeat.

Stress tolerance is the next personality trait which I deal in a variety of
different ways including the need to have my own “introverted time to
tolerate the troubles of a day.  At times I get very stresses and I tend to
show.  My wife tells me I show stress by being very short with one word
answers and short phrases.  She typically leaves me alone for a bit of time
understanding what I need to get over the stress.

The last personality trait I am going to focus on is extroversion.  I
believe in the right situations I can take my introverted self and become
more extroverted.  It takes certain situations and a level of being
comfortable to make this happen.  I believe I have already warmed up to the
cohort and the “feeling out” process has been fairly easy with this group.

A different set of traits and skills associated with effective leadership
is motivational traits which include task and interpersonal needs,
achievement orientation, power needs, expectations, self-efficacy.  Motivation
is defined as a set of energetic forces that originate both with as well as
beyond an individual to initiate work-related behavior and to determine its
form, direction, intensity, and duration.

The first and only motivational trait that I will focus on is task and
interpersonal needs as I believe is one of the biggest building blocks for
relationships.  These people are driven by the task as well as their
concern for people.  I don’t think that anyone can ever top out but will
always strive to be better with interpersonal needs.  I have noticed that
some people view an interpersonal relationship differently than others.  All
people are different and I am hoping that in the next two years I will get
better at adapting to people to please individuals the best way I can.

The last subsets of effective leaderships are the skills which include
technical, interpersonal, and conceptual.  Technical skills are the focal
point for me.  Technical skills are the bringing of specialized knowledge
to bear an administrative task.  The skills are going to take a lot of
experience, a good mentor, and the drive to focus on as many behind the
scenes items.  While working with my principal I am sure to include myself
in a bit of everything.  I will need to continue to ask the question why,
for more understanding of why administrators do what they do.

Conceptual or cognitive skills are ever changing but to think logically and
to work with concepts seems to come fairly easy for me.  My vast amount of
teaching in three different school districts in a multitude of different
positions has allowed me to have the ground work for thinking logically.

These are the items that I personally feel comfortable with and some traits
that I perceive will need work over the next two years.