[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Question #2

Bruce, Brandy bj943410 at ohio.edu
Tue Jun 12 22:41:40 EDT 2018

For the time that I have known you, you have always been extremely self-confident and motivated. Two very important character traits of an effective administrator. When it comes to stress there is only so much that one human being can bare, and I am sure everyone's stress-tolerance can be tested at times. When it comes to dealing with tragedy's, or other severe emotional situations there is a point when a school guidance counselor or other outside services step in and take charge of the situation. When these situations arise there is no need to be fearful, just reach out for the plethora of people waiting to help. It also seems that extroversion is no challenge for you; no worries there. I feel technical skills are a wash all the way around unless you have spent years working with technology then just plan to have your tech guy/girl on speed dial. Part of being an effective leader is also knowing when to ask for help. You posses the traits of an exceptional administrator, and I have no doubt that you will be just that. Keep on keepin' on.

Dakota Taylor

I personally feel that I am the most self confident person I know. I strongly believe that I could do anything I want (within reason) as long as I apply my mind, body, and energy. As far as stress tolerance, I believe that I could remain composed while being faced with a tragedy, crazy parent, or negative circumstance. I am a believer in evaluating the situation, remaining calm, and logically coming to a conclusion before reacting. A family tragedy would probably be the only thing that could cause a ripple in my stress tolerance, but I believe in myself and my emotional maturity to handle it the best that I possibly could. I have endured several traumatic events throughout my life, and I can firmly state that nothing will surprise me or my emotions.

Integrity is something I hold dear to my heart. I can read dishonest people through facial expressions, body language, and through logically evaluating their statements. I love being a stand-up guy and being authentic and real.

Extroversion is something I need to pay particular attention to the next two years because I understand that I need to find a healthy balance between being patient with others as well as myself. I tend to always be in a rush to get to the next task, assignment, job, etc., so I must pace myself and understand that I must simultaneously be concerned with my own thoughts and feelings as well as 30+ students with different learning needs every class period. Through teaching 6 waves of 30+ 6th-8th grade students, I will gain valuable experience with extroversion and introversion as well as personality and learning styles. I look forward to the challenge because these experiences will help me become a more experienced and well-rounded teacher and eventually a better leader.

Furthermore, motivation for me will be a “slam dunk” or a “layup” because I am a goal oriented person and I love to be challenged and have something to strive for. I am competitive in nature, and self-efficacy will certainly be a strength for me throughout my career. My goal will be to become better at getting people on board with my beliefs and instill positive personal self-efficacy in others (my students/future stakeholders).

My technical skills and conceptual skills will be something I will maintain a keen eye on, and I will strive to improve my abilities and knowledge needed to perform specific tasks that require these skills. Thinking mathematically, mechanically, and scientifically will certainly be a weakness, but I am confident that I can perform highly enough in those areas when needed or I will seek a mentor for support.

Brandy Bruce

Graduate Student

Ohio University Southern Campus