[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Answer Question #1

Taylor, Dakota dt264910 at ohio.edu
Mon Jun 11 23:15:01 EDT 2018

Response to Dusti Chapman

Dusti,

I smiled when I read about the secret gift exchange within your school. This closely resembles the overall outlook of natural systems and the human aspect of the workplace. Learning about co-workers and being emotionally supportive of co-workers can ultimately create a great environment to work in on a daily basis. I believe that the human aspect of schools, organizations, and businesses is often the one forgotten, but stories like these make me realize they are not.

I want to thank you for using examples from the required textbook, as I am waiting for mine to be mailed, I can still learn from the masterful Hoy and Miskel. I especially like the part, “Open systems have the potential to combine rational and natural elements in the same framework and provide a more complete perspective as noted in our text. In a nutshell we take what the environment gives us and transform it.” These two short sentences helped me gain multiple perspectives on the meaning of open systems. I like how you summed it up in two short sentences and left off the heavy and unnecessary terminology. Awesome!

EDAD 6020, Response to Answer Question #1

“Rational systems are defined in the text and what I found online to be systems that focus on the formal structures of an organization and sees the organization as a group of people who work together to pursue specific goals.  Rational systems stress the importance of structure over individuals. Structure is the most important goal. I feel like our content standards as teachers is definitely a structure that can be seen within rational systems. We as teachers then follow through by implementing these content standards (specific goals) to our students.

Natural systems ‘provide another view of organization that contrasts with the rational-systems perspective’.  The natural system as stated in our text vies organizations as more akin to organisms than machines. This system has a focus more on the human aspect of organizations.  This can be seen at my school where we do the secrete sister/brother. At random times we try to provide little gestures/gifts to a teacher in a secret manner. It helps us learn about others as well as be there for one another.

Open systems have the potential to combine rational and natural elements in the same framework and provide a more complete perspective as noted in our text. In a nutshell we take what the environment gives us and transform it.  It provides a conceptual basis for organizational analysis and administrative problem solving. This can be seen in schools as the school receives resources for labors, such as teachers and then educate students in return that grow up to take part in the society.

Our text defines a social system as the way in which the school is characterized by an interdependence of parts, a clearly defined population, differentiation from its environment, a complex network of social relationships, and its own unique cultures.  This can be seen in all school systems. Every school system is made up of parts. For example: structure, individual, culture. The structure equals the roles of expectations created in the hierarchy. The individual is the beliefs and cognitive understandings of the job. Culture, lastly, represents the unwritten feeling part of the organizations: its shared values.” -Dusti Chapman

Dakota Taylor

Teacher/Coach

(304) 208-0198